Vampire Hunters Encounter(Chapter Five)

Chapter Five

Calvin

“Joy lies in the fight, in the attempt, in the suffering involved, not in the victory itself”

(Mahatman Gandhi.)

Tuesday and Wednesday had been no different from Monday. Students still point at me as if I was the class clown everyone got to make fun of. Caleb never once talked to me those two days, but our English teacher, Miss Lathame, assigned us to work together on the novel Macbeth by Shakespeare.

The assignment was given to us Tuesday at the beginning of class. We just had to read the novel and answer a thirty question packet. Both Tuesday and Wednesday, Caleb and I read in silence while I answered some of the questions.

 Alena became a close friend of mine, sitting with me at lunch and in science class. No one other than Alena had attempted to make eye contact with me let alone talk to me.

Mr. Saenz (my science teacher) kept reminding me of what a smart student I was and asked if science would be my major in college. Most of the students in class probably hated me for the comments he would give me, except for Alena that is. She agreed with Mr. Saenz that I should be a science major in college, for I was good at it.

Today was Thursday, the day to finish Miss Lathame's assignment and start a new one. Caleb had just finished copying my answers as Miss. Lathame kept telling us about the new novel we were about to begin reading. Another Shakespeare novel titled A Midsummer Night’s Dream was her next torture, as the class had called it. Caleb finished the questions and I turned in both of our work to Miss Lathame. I placed the papers on her desk for her to check. When I went back to my desk, Caleb’s desk still faced mine, as it had been for the past two days. It was then when Caleb spoke to me for the first time after two days of working together.

"Why do you let people take advantage of you?" His voice sounded calm and sincere as if he was deeply concerned for my well being.

 "Oh! About your friend embarrassing me in the cafeteria, it's no big deal."

 "I'm talking about that incident and right now when you gave me the answers to the assignment, when all I did these past two days is stay quiet and sit back." He looked into my eyes, as if he could find the answer to his question within them.

 "Well I did it because you are my partner for the assignment and for the rest of the school year." Miss Lathame had just mentioned that our partner for the last novel would be our partner for any future assignments and in essence the entire year.

Caleb spoke again, his eyes always locked on mine never lowering or breaking contact. "I saw on the senior birthday bulletin board in the office that your birthday is tomorrow as well." Again he tried to get the answer from me by looking deeper into my eyes.

 I responded to the question with the truth; I could not lie. "Yes, my birthday is tomorrow." I had already heard the rumors all over school; tomorrow Caleb Farrington the senior football team captain would be celebrating his eighteenth birthday. Flyers all over the school formulated an environment equivalent to one of a large social event and or school activity.

Caleb got quiet for two minutes, as if debating on what to say next. "I would love for you to attend my party if you still don't have any plans."

 Once again I felt a strong force of electricity surging all through my body. Had I known Caleb from my childhood? The effect that his presence evoked was strikingly familiar. I knew he meant the invitation with all sincerity, but the party’s guest list would be comprised of people who hated me for no reason whatsoever.