Vampire Hunters( Chapter 11)

Chapter Eleven

Caleb

“I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I'd just been myself.”

(Brittanny Renee.)

The drive to Calvin’s house was longer then I had expected it to be. As I drove with Calvin sitting beside me I couldn't help but feel the awkward silence between us both that had now become uncommon amongst us. I guess being told we were brothers by Hunter X had been traumatizing for Calvin as much as it had been for me. Hunter X sounded convincing when he spoke of hunters and vampires. Apparently there was some sort of undeclared war between the two. The silence was deafening, I wanted to say some words of comfort to Calvin but my mind was at a blank and I had seemed to have forgotten how to speak. I dropped Calvin off at home, we hadn't even managed goodbyes, I tried saying it but the words got caught in my throat and refused to come out. I did manage a smile, how comforting it was I couldn't say.

I pulled out of Calvin’s driveway and headed for my home, on the way the revelations Hunter X had told us plagued my thoughts. Calvin and I were brothers, twins to be exact though I was older by two minutes, and our parents, Luna and Artemis Moore, had been two of the greatest hunters that ever lived. Calvin and I both carried on our parent’s legacy through our physical appearance; I had my father's hair but my mother’s eyes while Calvin had my mother’s hair and my father’s eyes so in a way they were still alive through both of us.

They had killed thousands of vampires and were feared above all other hunters, I felt proud for some reason to hear this about my parents who I had never met. I was shocked to hear that Calvin and I were given up for our safety, as the most dangerous hunters our parents were the most sought after by the vampire race.

As their children, we were in jeopardy. Calvin and I had been sent to an orphanage before we had reached the age of one for our safety, upon our abandonment an agreement had been struck between the nuns and our parents; Calvin and I were to be adopted as a pair, we were a package deal all or nothing. It infuriated me to know that my parents’ wish had not been honored. The nun’s faith and promise to my parents had been broken by the constant taint and greed that trailed money like a shadow, my parents had paid for me because they had only wanted one child but I wasn't angry at them they had taken me in when I had no one, except for Calvin, everyone has a price even the lord’s servants.

Not only had Calvin and I lost our parents but according to Hunter X we were the last Moore relatives upon earth, Moore is our official last name. The vampires had made sure to estrange us from any family ties; any relative or person who carried that last name had been murdered. Even more shocking, our entire family had been dedicated to this practice, my mother’s family and my father’s family had all been hunters until they became the hunted and slayed. So here were Calvin and I orphans, with no family at all but each other.

Luckily we had been educated on how to defeat a vampire by Hunter X. The only two ways to kill a vampire were; removing the head from the rest of the body or piercing the heart with a bullet composed of garlic and holy water. I gasped as I remembered the vampire I had beheaded in the locker room, it gave me immense joy knowing that I had taken down a portion of the filth that made my life the way it's turned out to be.

According to Hunter X Calvin and I were faster, stronger and had heightened senses that normal humans don't have. He also mentioned that when a hunter is told about their identity a tattoo is revealed upon their skin, on the left shoulder, that tells other hunters that the bearer of the tattoo can be trusted, the tattoo was too ludicrous to fathom but I didn't mention that to Hunter X.

Hunter X's home is located at the edge of town in a forest. Through the thick vegetation surrounding the house I barely managed to notice that we were standing in front of a cabin. The small cabin is stocked up with all sorts of weapons imaginable; guns, crossbows, swords, and knives all dedicated to the obliteration of the vampire race. The cabin has a chimney that kept it warm and cozy, for someone who dressed and looked filthy Hunter X's home was extremely organized and clean.

I had many things to think about, but my mind wandered to Calvin and I being siblings of its own accord. It couldn't be true; Calvin had become one of my closest friends in the past couple of weeks that I had known him. I couldn't be a hunter; the name Hunter X had called us. I couldn't have been adopted, I had always wondered but now that it had been mentioned I couldn't wrap my head around it. Many things changed when we had agreed to accompany a strange man that we didn't know. Hunter X had proved his case beyond a doubt, deep down inside I knew he was being honest, but I struggled to believe it even when I know it's the truth.

On the way home I stopped by a jewelry store to pick something up for Erin, I had completely forgotten about her the night I had been attacked, and decided to buy her something to make up for it. In the jewelry store the woman came over quickly and began showing me all the fine jewelry they carried. I had no idea what I was looking for; I smiled upon a pendant with a giant gemstone, I chuckled at the gorgeous rings that carried too-big diamonds in their centers, I noticed the ear rings that resembled art more than they did jewelry. They were all wonderful items but they didn't seem like Erin to me, I planned on finding something that reminded me of her, unordinary and beautiful.

 I convinced myself that I wasn't going to find what I searched for but when I turned I noticed on the display window upon a mannequins wrist was a bracelet. It was three inches in diameter, bordering its edges placed professionally were miniscule white diamonds that twinkled under the light; the bracelet was the same light blue color as Erin's eyes.

The bracelet itself was unordinary, it didn't fully close instead its curved edges were parallel to one another, allowing the bracelet to be opened and slipped upon the wrist. I tugged it away from the unrelenting mannequin and had the saleslady ring it up; she smiled at me as she placed the bracelet in an elegant box then handed it to me.

"You’re going to make some lucky girl extremely happy with this gift." she said.

I merely nodded and smiled back and then I was out the door heading to my car. I placed the box in the passenger’s seat and could already picture the bracelet wrapped upon Erin's small, fragile wrist. I pictured Erin in multiple outfits, with many different hairstyles that were all brought together by my gift.

I got home and unlocked the door with the new key mother had given to me a day after she had kicked dad out. All the locks had been changed. I stepped inside my home and was greeted by silence; mother and Joyce must have already fallen asleep. I went upstairs and took a quick shower before I went to bed. I forgot to grab some clothes on the way and was left with no other option but to walk to my room with the towel wrapped around my waist. When I got through the door I let the towel fall and locked the door behind me. I stood in front of the vanity mirror and examined my naked body thoroughly for the first time, my chest had gotten broader with football, as had my calves and thighs and my forearms were massive. I flexed and saw the rippling of my muscles beneath my skin. I stood in front of the mirror flexing my legs, my arms and my chest.

 I felt pleased when I saw the effects my flexing caused, as I continued flexing the beads of water that coated my skin glistened due to my movements. I noticed the veins that ran up my forearm and if I tightened my neck, some would appear there as well. I turned and looked over my shoulder; my shoulder blades were barely seen and I had dimples above my butt, the sight of them made me burst into loud laughter. On my left shoulder, as Hunter X had promised, was a tattoo that I hadn't had placed there. In a bit of a panic at having confirmed the tattoo I got some clothes and put them on rather quickly to hide the confirmation of what Calvin and I had been told but had refused to believe.

I turned and there upon my red bed comforter set was another black rose, the roses had been appearing on a regular basis. I picked it up, pricked my fingers as usual, and threw the rose away. Tonight I had been given much information to absorb, thankfully though all problems can be forgotten through merciful sleep. I slept and dreamt of Erin, whom was in for a surprise tomorrow.