4. Fallen kingdom

Y/N sat on the end of Mavericks bed as he swung his sword against one of the posts,
Anyone could tell he had done this many times by all the dents on all four of them.

He continued to grunt angrily.
"She honestly can't just expect me to be happy about this?!"
He continued to hit away at his bed posts.
"I don't get why she didn't tell you!"
Maverick continued to rant.
"Wouldn't a lady in waiting be told?.. you didn't know did you?"
He voice began to soften as he stopped torturing his bed, he looked at Y/N with uncertainty.

She immediately raised her hands in defence.
"No I swear I had no idea! She probably knew I'd tell you the moment she told me..."
Y/N then slid off his bed glumly, now resting on the side of it as she rested her head back.
"Sorry Maverick, I should of kept an eye out"

Maverick sighed, he rested his head on the post.
"Don't apologise, what for? It's not like you're the one making me get married"

Elinor then stepped into the room, she stared down at the two sternly before walking through.

"Mother, suitors? Marriage?" Maverick complained, addressing her as she walked to an old chess board.

"Once! There was an ancient kingdom..."

"Ugh mum! Ancient kingdom.." Maverick sighed back down into his bed, he slid down it now sitting beside Y/N.

"It's name long forgotten.." the queen continued as she brought the chess board to a nearby table.
"Ruled by a wise and fair king who was much beloved"
She held up a chess piece as the king and presented it to the two, mainly for Maverick.

"And when he grew old, he divided the kingdom among his four sons, that they should be the pillars on which the Piece of land rested"
She placed four other chess pieces in a square, 3 of them white and the remaining one black.

Y/N and Maverick glanced at one another before looking back up to the queen.

"But, the oldest prince wanted to rule the land for himself, he followed his own path and the kingdom fell!"
The queen pulled away the black chess piece causing the chess board to fall completely onto the floor.
"-to war, chaos and ruin"

"Thats a nice story!" Maverick smiled sarcastically.

"It's not just a story Maverick, legends are lessons they ring with truths"

"What has this got to do with marriage?" Y/N asked politely.
"The kingdom fell because the oldest was selfish and-"
The queen tilted her head with a smug smirk,
"...oh"

Maverick turned away from Y/N to reason with his mother
"Ay, mum-"

"I would advice you to make your peace with this!" Elinor said sternly, Maverick turned away and pulled on his hair in frustration.
"The clans are coming to present their suitors!"

"It's not fair!"

"Maverick it's marriage it's not the end of the world!"

"Yes it is" Y/N mumbled under her breath, Elinor wasn't able to hear but Maverick had. However Y/N hadn't known.

The queen rolled her eyes and began to make her way out his room.

Maverick groaned and slammed the door behind her.

"Let's go outside" Y/N spoke, "get some fresh air"

Maverick nodded slowly as Y/N softly guided him out his room and down to the stables.

———————

"You're muttering" Fergus called out as he entered the room, Elinor was sewing together a tapestry of Maverick getting married.