6. Following the rules

Sorry for the wait, this scene is my favourite and I feel like I could write it better so sometime later I'll probably come back to fix it up. Sorry it's kinda short.

Everyone had made it outside ready for the challenge to take place.

The three princes were trying to steal sweets off of Maudie who had made them for the event. Y/N amusingly smirked at them as she watched.

Y/N stood between Elinor and Fergus' throne as the challenge was soon about to start.
"It's time!" Fergus yelled with his arm linked with Elinors.

"Archers to you marks!" Elinor continued happily.

"Aye! Archers to your marks!" Fergus repeated happily.

"And may the lucky arrow find its target!

Y/N looked over to Maverick with a concerned frown, however Maverick only winked happily as he kicked something behind him.

Y/N raised her eyebrow playfully.
He didn't change his mind about getting married did he?
He put his finger to his lips as he continued to kick the thing behind his throne.

Y/N played along and pretended to zip up her lips, not evening knowing what she was agreeing to keep quiet.

Elinor noticed their small gestures and raised a suspicious brow. She made a mental note to keep an eye on them.

Each of the daughters stood on their marks, Macguffin looked nervous, Macintosh sent a cocky wink back to the crowd behind, earning herself a few whistles and The daughter of lord Dingwall dumbly pulled on the string of the bow.

"Oi! Get on with it!" Fergus chuckled slouching back into his throne.

Macguffin raised her bow in respect as she then started to prepare for her shot.

Y/N sighed mentally in relief, she knew Macguffin would miss the shot based on her form.

Y/N was right, the arrow landed on the edge of the target, Macguffin groaned in annoyance.
Her father had slapped his palm to his face.

"I bet she wishes she she was tossing cabers" Maverick laughed towards Fergus and Y/N.

"holding up bridges!" Fergus giggled back.

The three giggled as Elinor slightly hit Fergus, but she to was smiling herself.

Macintosh got her bow ready, before she took the shot she dramatically flicked her hair, making some men in the back whoop.

She took the shot, missing the very centre by a few inches.
She immediately started cry and screech.
Y/Ns face fell with in amusement.

"At least you hit the target girl!" Her father had tried to encourage.

But his daughter continues to yell, she hit her bow to the ground repeatedly.
"Well that's attractive" Maverick stated sarcastically.

She then threw the bow over the crowd behind and fell to her knees.
Some person in the back caught it.
"I got it!"

"Good arm" Y/N nodded impressively to Fergus and Maverick.

"And such lovely flowing locks" Fergus began to stroke his own hair.

"Fergus!" The queen scolded, more firmly this time.

"What?!"

The daughter of Dingwall now began for her turn, she reached for an arrow on her side but as she turned to grab one she spilled the rest out, forming a circle of arrows around her.

She then struggled to keep the arrow in place on her bow.

"Aw wee lamb" Maverick poured in fake pity.

Fergus started to throw impatient.
"Oh come on.. SHOOT GIRL!"

Being taken by surprise Dingwall let go of the arrow accidentally, it hit bullseye and the crowd cheered.

"Aha! Well done Lass!" Her father said happily.

Y/Ns jaw had dropped in shock.
Is that it? This would be the person Maverick would marry?

Dingwall danced around happily.
"Feast your eyes!" He mocked to the other two lords, he lifted up his kilt to reveal his naked bottom.
They cringed and gagged in fear. Elinor, Y/N and Fergus looked horror struck.
Fergus then quickly placed his hand in front of Y/Ns face but it had already been to late.

"Well that's just grand now isn't it?" Fergus broke the silence and turned towards as Elinor, slowly he lowered his hand down from Y/Ns face.
"Guess who coming to dinner!"

"Fergus!"

"By the way... hope you don't mind having to-" Fergus turned towards Maverick who was instead replaced with a black dog.

He paused in confusion, he looked to Y/N for an explanation who looked just as confused as he did, she then shrugged.
They turned away from each other as they heard a call come from in front.

Y/Ns heart stopped.

Maverick hoisted up the flag of DunBroch and took off the black cloak he was wearing to reveal himself.

"I am Maverick!" He announced loudly. "First born descendent of clan DunBroch, and I'll be shooting-" he looked at Y/N who had started to grin supportively.
He smiled back before turning to glare at his mother.
"-For my own hand!"

The three lords looked appalled as they turned to Elinor.
Elinor then looked at Y/N who didn't look back.

Elinor took an angry breath in and started to stand up.
"What are you doing?" She muttered under her breath.

Maverick started to point his arrow towards the first target, but was restricted from going all the way as his suit was to tight. He started to pull at it.

"Maverick!"

"Curse this suit!" he yelled angrily, he hunched over tearing the suit down it's seams so he was able to move freely.

Y/N slightly stepped forward as she watched him, she bit onto her fist in stress.

He then began to walked down to each target, he shot the first one perfectly with ease.

"Maverick stop this!" Elinor scolded, she began to walk after him.

Maverick managed to hit the second target perfectly once again, the crowd gasped.

"Don't you DARE loose another arrow!"

Y/N began to run after the two, the anxiety/adrenaline eating up at her. She felt a strong sense of satisfaction and excitement, this was happening now.

She always knew it was coming, but now that it was finally happening it was all so surreal.

Heart beating out of her chest, she began to slow down as she got closer towards the scene.

Maverick stood before the last target, he sighed as he focused intensively.

"Maverick I forbid it!"

"YES MAVERICK!!" Y/N yelled in encouragement, now finally stopping her little sprint, a good distance away from behind the queen. The queen had grown even angrier upon hearing Y/N.

With that Maverick released the arrow, it gave him a small scratch on his cheek as it flew past, it hit the middle of the target, going right through the other arrow and through the target hitting the back.

Everyone had watched in shock.
Y/N grinned widely at the target before turning back to Maverick and Elinor.

Maverick sighed proudly before he turned to his mother. They were glaring at each other with equal amounts of anger.

—————————————————-