17. Confession -1

February 2020

Madiha

February 24: Florida Prepares for the Spread of Coronavirus Before It Hits (Government Technology)

Health care providers and government officials in Florida are racing to prepare for a potential outbreak of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus—preparation considered critical given the state's vulnerable elderly population and high number of international visitors.

"Any idea what Illinois is doing?" I heard a voice speak to me while I sat on the train catching up with the news on my way into the hospital on the morning of my sister's wedding.

I looked up to see an elderly male looking at me with worried eyes. "Sorry, to bother you. I saw your hospital badge..." he started to apologize.

"Oh no worries at all," I told him, "I am still a trainee doctor, but I do know that our hospitals are preparing to deal with an outbreak in the US. In fact, that's why I am going in to work today even though I am supposed to be off"

He slowly nodded, "Oh well then thank you for service. I've heard older people are getting affected the most"

"Unfortunately, yes. But don't worry we have one of the most advanced healthcare systems in the world. I am sure we'll be able to contain the virus," I replied to him quietly, even though serious doubts clouded my optimism.

Because the truth was, that while the US did have some of the most advanced tools in medicine in the world, widespread diseases are not contained by robotic surgery tools or fancy lasers. They are stopped by a robust public health system which had seen severe cuts in the past several years, leaving public health agencies around the country underfunded and woefully unprepared. This was a tale no different than any other country in the world.

Luckily, my stop came soon, and I politely nodded to the elderly gentleman before getting off the train. Though, I didn't get far before I had to deal with another kind of emergency.

"Madi I am freaking out. When will you get back?" Maliha's shrill voice came through my phone just as soon as I walked into the hospital building.

"Maliha, its only 8 am. I'll be home before 10 and we don't have to be at the masjid till 5. Don't worry everything will be ok," I tried to placate her, feeling a tad bit guilty that I had left my family that day. But just yesterday I received news that I had been selected as the chief resident for my residency program. That meant, come July I would be promoted to a staff position where I would manage the resident training, schedules, etc.

With news of a new and deadly coronavirus rapidly spreading across the world, our hospital was conducting an emergency drill today. And as a future staff member, I was given no choice but to attend.

"So sorry we had to pull you off vacation, Madi," an apologetic Mr. Kumar, our residency program director and my future boss, said when he met me at the entrance of the main conference room.

"No worries. I wanted to be here. None of what I am reading online sounds reassuring," I replied as we took our seats.

The meeting soon began and as I had expected one of the first items on the agenda was making sure that all our wards were fully staffed, with attendings, residents, nurses and all essential support staff. It was the residents that would be my job to handle, but if I was being honest, it was the lack of one intern that was most on my mind.

The one who would be off doing a surgery residency somewhere across the country. I had made peace with that. Convinced myself that long-distance relationships too had a future. But this wasn't about me.