Chapter 1

2018, Oxford England.

It was surprisingly sunny today in England as I walked across the grounds of Oxford, my heels clicking on the pavements as I travelled towards the aging architecture. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply as I felt the soft breeze whip around me and the feeling of warmth travelled through my body making me smirk slightly. Magic.

I glimpsed around my surroundings and caught the sight of a blonde haired women clutching tightly onto a stack of what looked like paper. Raising my eyebrow slightly I looked her up and down. Not bad. Cute, angelic even in the structure of her face. But before I could watch her any more closely she whipped her head back and forwards as if panicked before rushing forwards towards the student building.

I won't lie and say I'm not intrigued, so let's see what the girl is up to.

I started towards the direction that she was headed and as I continued on I could hear what was supposedly an introduction of some sort. I walked forwards and peeked my head around the corner and looked into the classroom that seemed full of teachers, and there she was. Stood with a small but relieved smile on her face.

My smirk grew and I decided why not listen in for a while, it won't hurt, so I entered the room and situated myself in the far right corner listening in as an older women began speaking.

"Please join me in welcoming back to Oxford, this year's visiting research fellow. As many of you know, she took her DPhil in the history of science her. And after publishing two prize-winning books, she was awarded tenure at Yale. One of the youngest ever to have been awarded that distinction. We are delighted to have her back amongst us, Dr Diana Bishop," she finished just as everyone began to applaud.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," the blonde who I now knew as a Miss Diana Bishop replied as the applause settled.

"Alchemy. In the 17th century, alchemy was at the very heart of the study of nature, and a precursor to modern chemistry...

All parts of the natural world, be they animals or inanimate, were believed to experience these stages...

Although these images were often interpreted as allegory, they actually represent the chemical processes...

With access to the Bodleian Library's collection of unique manuscripts, owned by Elias Ashmole, the 17th century antiquarian astrologer and alchemist, I will continue to explore the role that alchemy had in the 17th century thought, and how it influenced great scientists, such as Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle. Thank you," Diana finished.

I must say now I'm interested. I clapped as did the rest of the room as Miss Bishop finished her lecture. I watched as she talked excitedly with the older woman who seemed to have given the blonde good news indeed. Soon I was leaning on the wall near the doorway watching as she interacted with an awkward ginger haired women, embracing her as they smiled together.

Ah! I know that short head of hair, Gillian Chamberlain resident witch.

Well, well it would seem that the little burst of magic I sensed earlier could be from little miss Diana Bishop. Now this is just fabulous.

****

I have all but now explored all that is the Oxford campus but the library.

Oh books, what a wonderful enjoyment one that should be indulged. They tell us the past the ways of the modern ear as well as the predictions of the future, however uncertain they may be. I myself feel one with them. Some ancient texts that hold unimaginable power, held within them the knowledge that could one day help someone in unfathomable ways.

I walked casually towards the building that I assumed housed the library, straightening my tie as I continued forwards until I felt it. I breathed in deeply smiling slightly to myself, there she is I can feel her magic just pulsing through the air. I looked around before I finally spotted the girl in the blue coat heading towards an aging building which I can only assume was also my desired destination.