Chapter 6: I Am Where I Want To Be

I headed out early, before Mrs. Timmon awoke, to get some sweet treats for the seven village children I tutored. I found they worked harder when rewarded, so we began with a lunch, then worked and then they got their treats.

Early mornings were my favorite time of day, when the air was cool, and the only sounds were birds busily chattering to one another. With my basket in one hand and my other on my belly, I walked along the stone path, occasionally kicking a stray rock in my way. A rumble of hooves disrupted my reverie and I looked up to see the warrior astride his gray stallion bearing down on me. I stopped as he pulled up his horse, who pranced sideways, unhappy that his run was interrupted.

"Where is my lady wife headed?"

"To the baker's for some sweets for the children I tutor."

Swinging off his horse, he graced me with his smile. "I shall accompany you."

"No, I do not wish your company," I shook my head at him. "You should continue on your ride."

"I am where I want to be," he said simply. We walk a few paces and then he stops me with a gentle hand on my arm. Flinching away from the contact, I look up at him.

"Do you fear the birth?"

Looking away, I swallow, too surprised he brought up this subject to wonder why. "I know it will be painful and that much can go wrong."

"I will let nothing happen to you," he says fiercely.

"That is for the Fates, not you, to decide. It is always a good possibility that the mother dies –"

"That is the very worst possibility," he snarls. "And I will not let it happen. Mrs. Timmon is the very best I could find and she and your midwives and I will protect you at all costs."

Rarely have I ever seen the warrior this worked up. Before I could say anything, he continued. "When I received your note, informing me that you were with child and then a sentence later telling me you made plans in case you did not survive, I..."

Waiting for him to go on, I watched in fascination as his jaw worked and he said no more.

"I meant only to reassure you that in the event of my death, the child would be cared for until you would arrive."

He looked down at me coldly, furiously. "You failed, Calissande. I was not reassured in the least."

"I wanted to explain that your heir or daughter would be protected."

"I want to know that you will be safe and protected. That is why I made inquiries all over the land and found Mrs. Timmon."

"I did not think my fate would matter to you once your heir arrived. Indeed, I would imagine your life much better with me gone."

The warrior stepped back with a hiss and I started to continue my walk to the village feeling very unsettled. If he had her and his heir, what more use was I?

"Why would you ever think such a thing?" he asked from behind me, his voice ragged.

I turned and looked at him, as if the answer should be obvious. "Because of her. You have shown me, by taking her, that I am less than nothing to you."

I continued walking and heard him gallop away moments later.

Not until I was in my chambers that night did I see my husband again. The door opened, and he stood there, barely visible in the dim light.