Chapter Two

THE FOLLOWING AFTERNOON Dylan and Quinn were back at the park doing clean up.

"Why do you keep doing that?" Dylan asked.

"Doing what?"

"Watching me like a buzzard waiting for prey to die so it can pick the bones."

Dylan wasn't used to people being nice to her unless they wanted something. She doubted Quinn was any different. "What's wrong with you?"

Quinn stared at her, hesitated, then asked nervously, "Why do you ask that?"

Dylan studied her closely. She wasn't sure what she saw in those expressive brown eyes.

Maybe it was her imagination, but she could've sworn the question made Quinn uncomfortable.

"How's your leg today?" Quinn asked.

The change of subject was a welcome relief. Something about the atmosphere between them had felt suffocating. "It's, uh, fine."

"I'm glad to hear that," Quinn said. "And to answer your earlier question, I'm not watching you, I'm simply observing you."

"Well, could you stop? It makes me uncomfortable."

Quinn nodded. "A couple of us are going to grab something to eat later, would you like to join us?"

"No."

She resumed her duties, creating physical distance from the rest of the group as she cleaned up the debris in the park, lest it seem as if she was interested in making friends. An hour later, she took a break and swallowed a couple of painkillers, wishing she could have a smoke instead. She didn't know if she was being paranoid, but her throat felt itchy and her hands were sweaty.

To distract herself, she studied Quinn, who was happily carrying out her duties while she interacted with the others. Dylan noticed that almost every other person doing community service knew Quinn. Even the supervisor, who was cold and disinterested for the most part, was warm and nice to her.

The males appeared smitten with her, and Dylan didn't blame them. Quinn emanated a warm glow. Wherever she was, a bubble of laughter and ease enclosed those around her. That ease and familiarity made Dylan uncomfortable.

She thought about how she'd been entranced the previous evening, lost in the sea of Quinn's eyes. She'd evoked such strange sensations in Dylan, it still felt unreal. The moment had been so unexpected, she wanted to deny its existence. She wondered whether that was how the men following Quinn around like love-struck puppies were feeling. It looked as if it was something she was used to handling because they continued being pleasant even after she rejected their advances.

What was it about Quinn that drew people to her? Dylan wondered. Not that she was drawn to Quinn. On the contrary, she wanted to stay as far away as the park boundaries would allow. Refusing to pursue that train of thought, she turned her focus back to her work.

When her hours were completed, she went to wait for Jake at her usual spot. He'd said he'd come to get her early because they had plans for dinner. She'd waited about ten minutes when she saw Quinn heading to her tiny car.

Jake's Lexus slowed and came to a stop. Dylan walked over to him as he got out. He gave her a light kiss and affectionately wrapped his arms around her for a hug. After, he took her crutch, tucked his arm around her waist, and helped her into the passenger seat of his car.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

"You've been later, so I guess you did fairly well today," Dylan said. As Jake drove away, she saw Quinn waving goodbye.