Chapter 3 - Holiday

━━━━━━━━━━

where we are - the lumineers

tomorrow - waxachatchee

any day now - trousdale

cliché - cece coakley

long story short - taylor swift

━━━━━━━━━━

Quinn blinked up at her friend.

"Run a way... with you?"

The implications of the statement seemed to dawn on him all at once. "Oh! No, no, no. Not like that."

Taking a step back, he fished his phone out of his pocket. His clear case was stuffed with movie stubs and receipts. After tapping the screen for a couple of seconds, he presented the phone to Quinn. A labeled map of Galar covered the screen. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to be getting from this and looked up at him for an explanation.

"How many of these cities have you been to?" He asked.

Quinn looked down at the map again, considering his question. She'd traveled through most of Galar's major metropolitan areas while taking the southbound train to Wedgehurst, though the most she got out of that was a vaguely blurry preview of each passing locale. It was the same for Wyndon, Galar's capital, where her plane had landed. She'd gone from the airport to the train without allowing herself to do any sightseeing. She'd been so exhausted from the cross-region trip that it hadn't even crossed her mind.

"I've been to Motostoke," she said. "For my piano performance."

"But that's it, right?"

She nodded.

Leon gazed down at her expectantly, hands resting at his hips. As if to say: my work here is done.

She narrowed her eyes. "You want... to go to Motostoke together?"

"No, you muppet," he said, bopping the top of her head. "I mean, yes, I do want to go to Motostoke together. And everywhere else, too."

Quinn took a minute before she endeavored to address this comment. She knocked back the rest of her drink and rose from the long velvet chaise. Standing before her tall friend, she craned her neck to meet his gaze.

"Let me get this straight," Quinn said. "You want to travel around Galar? Together?"

"Yes, precisely."

"Why?"

Leon smiled. It was sugary sweet and genuine (so unlike the practiced ones he flashed at his fans and the press) and Quinn found herself wanting to say whatever he wanted to hear. How annoying.

"Why not?"

"Well, for starters, you have quite possibly the worst sense of direction in the world. You'd get your head lost up your own arse if that was anatomically possible."

"Crude, but fair."

"And don't you have former Galar Champion stuff you ought to be doing? I'm sure you've got battles and TV appearances you're expected to make," Quinn went on.

"I don't have anything coming up," he took a moment to think about this, checking the mental schedule in his head. "And besides, it's my career. I've got loads of time. And money. I can take a holiday whenever I feel like it. And as you so rightly pointed out, I am the former Champion. I don't have the same responsibilities that I once had."