Chapter One: The Boy Wonder

"The boy had... talent. I never really... thought... he would reach... uh... reach these types of heights. Truth be told... I... I uh... didn't really know that they existed to begin with, haha. And... in a sense, I feel... honored... to have been the one... to water that sprout."

"Yes, he has shocked the world so much that I'm honestly impressed with our ability to keep up with him, haha. And we know his journey started with you, however, at his current point are you still a part of his... story?"

"We talk quite often. Which never... surprised me. A truly commemorable... trait... the young man... possesses, is his fearsome loyalty... to his roots. For example, the only reason... the main public... knows, uh... knows names like... Shepharious and Mxv... is because... he keeps mentioning them. Even... after all this time. And since I still play... I'm still in the loop."

"Being in this loop, what do you think are some... general pieces of advice to the next generation of players to be able to compete with this type of monster?"

"The path was paved... by him. Most of what the... the, "new generation," learns... is taught to them by someone who knows it. Even I... did not teach this boy much, rather he was... the pioneer, pulling his wagon of knowledge... while most "teachers" today... copied after him. He isn't someone... to get... better than, I don't think. He's someone... to get better... from. And because of that... I'd advise... to not try to compete with him... and instead... put your guard down... your eyes up... focus... and learn."

~ Three Years Earlier

A gentle breeze rustled through the scarce foliage of the towering trees that lined the broken roads stranded in the middle of an ocean, stranded and silent... except for distant footsteps, countless feet stomping and marching in a chaotic rhythm through the worn streets.

In a blur, a tall figure darts past, lifting the dust and debris as its feet tap quietly against the pavement, creating a small trail and a rhythmic sound. A mere split second later, a stream of stomps and footsteps jolt through where the figure had been only moments ago, causing the small trail to be swept away in an instant as countless pairs of feet sprinted by.

Further down the road, just after a steep incline and drop, the same figure lands gracefully on the ground, its black sneakers continuing to run smoothly down the path. The same storm of footsteps follows... only this time they're more scattered, and a few seconds behind the first figure.

Even further down the road, toward what seemed to be the end, the figure sprints past once again, his black backpack flapping wildly behind him. A few seconds pass by, and no further footsteps follow. After some more time, a singular pair of feet sprint by with a cyan cape waving behind them.

Soon, the fugure reaches the end of the street, and jumps right off the edge of the road. With a slight grunt, he turns around mid air, extending his right leg behind him. His left hand grips tight onto the bag strap, dangling from his shoulder. As soon as his feet touch the ground, he skids backwards on a checkered pattern as a bell dings. Soon after, "1st," appears above his black, combed hair as if summoned by magic. He looks up at the floating number, then back up at the road.

His eyes widen, and a gasp escapes from under his black mask. Mere feet from his face, a pair of white sneakers charge toward him at rapid speeds. He clenches his jaw tightly, then lets out a loud yelp as he throws himself backward, narrowly avoiding the incoming feet. He tightly shuts his eyes as he slams into the pavement, releasing a small yelp as he falls flat on his backpack. The same bell rings again as he rolls onto his side.

"Who-"

"Fuck!" A higher pitched voice cuts him off, startling him slightly. He opens his eyes slightly, squinting at the source of the noise. Before him stood a small boy, his fists moving wildly as he stomps away from him and toward the road. The boy ruffles his hands through his messy white hair as he stares intently at the course above the finish line, seemingly tracing the path he had taken.

The masked figure sits up carefully, looking at the kid for a moment before turning to look above his head, '...Angus...11? 387 GAP,' he mouths, then slowly gets back onto his feet, dusting his black jeans off. "Hey," he calls out softly, walking over to Angus.

Angus turns around immediately upon hearing his voice, his eyes widening slightly, "Oh, hey- uh... Sorry about the, uh, the almost killing you thing," he mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"It's fine, I wasn't particularly paying attention anyway, sir. Angus." The masked figure replies.

"I don't think I qualify to be a sir yet, but thanks... sir Rett." Angus chuckles lightly, glancing up over the masked man's head to read his name. He turns around to face the track, his finger once again tracing the path he took. The mask stares blankly at him for a moment. After several long seconds of analyzing the boy, Rett mumbles softly to himself before walking up to Angus' side, standing close beside him. Angus glances at him. "Uh..."

"Jump," he says simply, staring up and ahead at the road before them.

"Jump?" Angus repeats, cocking his head back slightly.

"You uh... gain a small burst of speed every time your feet leave the ground. By itself it's... inconsequential in comparison to how you maneuver, or how sharp you cut corners. But if you do it enough, it'll eventually become noticeable. Very... very noticeable," Rett continues as he turns away and walks a few steps away from Angus. "So jump," He adds without looking back, facing forward and continuing to follow the pavement.

Angus flicks his eyes down and furrows his brows, briefly considering Rett's words. He flicks his eyes back up, raising his hand in the air toward Rett. A small blue screen appears, hovering near Angus' right hand, faintly glowing a dim cyan. Letters and numbers are blurred by static, as well as a few blurry images. However, one detail remained legible: big, bold letters reading, "Rett." Angus looks up at Rett's back, tilting his head and furrowing his brows slightly. His hair shifts along with him. 'Where have I seen that name...?' Angus thinks silently to himself. His eyes shift to the ground, scanning around aimlessly, lost in thought.

~ Fifteen minutes later

"Holy fucking shit!" Angus shouts suddenly, throwing his arms through his hair dramatically. His mouth hangs open as his eyes stay fixated on a tall wooden board mounted on a wall next to a glowing gateway. "Fifteen hundred?! Fifteen hundred? He's rated fifteen hundred?!" Angus shouts again as he starts backing up instinctively. "Virgin! Virgin, look at this!" He yells, soon after, a small metallic ball of energy materializes between the board and Angus. Above it reads, "Virgin."

"You called, sir?" The sphere asks, bobbing lazily in mid air.

"Shut up, look!" Angus exclaims, pointing at the board in front of him. Just under the word, "Leaderboard," positioned at number one was, "Rett, 1,536 GAP."

The orb hovers curiously closer to the board. After a short moment, it begins to spin rapidly, creating tiny whirling sounds as its center lights up a dim blue color. After a few seconds, it stops, and returns to Angus, floating gently before him. "Player name, Rett. Estimated playing strength, fourteen ninty-seven. Current rating, fifteen thirty-nine. Joined-"

"Wait, fifteen thirty-nine?" Angus asks, stopping the sphere abruptly as he flicks his eyes to the leaderboard.

"Yes, the board has yet to update. Joined March 23rd of this year. Current holder of 'Champion' title."

Angus' mouth hangs agape as he stares dumbfoundedly at the orb. "Champion? You're kidding," he mumbles in awe.

"If you wish to have it repeated to you, that can be arranged." The orb responds simply, an ever so slight tone of sarcasm laced throughout.

"No- pfft" Angus snorts as he sinks his fingers into his eyes. "No, no. He gave me a pointer. What was it?"

"I'm meant to know this information?" The orb questions.

"Oh fuck you, it was rhetorical. Ah- jumping! Jumping! He said... ah... he said... he said it gives a small burst of speed, every time you do it! Make a note, Virgin!" Angus exclaims, snapping his fingers at the orb.

"What would you like it to say?"

Angus pauses for a while, his lips pursing together before he lifts his hand, shifting it to his words, "Jumping... grants... a uh... a small... burst of speed... in speed racing game modes! You got that?"

"...Yes sir," The orb responds promptly. "'Jumping grants a uh, small burst of speed in speed racing gameodes. You got that?' Is what I have written."

Angus chuckles, covering his mouth with one hand. "Okay, dick. You don't need that last part. Now tell me, does he have a YouToo channel at all?" Angus asks.

"Scanning... RettPlayz, seventeen thousand subscribers with eighty-eight total videos." The orb responds, a small holographic panel appears between Angus and Virgin, displaying Rett's YouToo channel.

"Alright, perfect. I want you to pick and select every video that has tips... or is educational for new players and put them on a spreadsheet. Highlight key timeframes as well," Angus instructs the orb.

"Understood. I will take my leave and begin searching," the orb states, its form slowly phasing into the air around it. As it fades completely, Angus sighs and runs his free hand through his messy, unkempt white hair.

His eyes flip back to the board, gazing at all the names displayed. A small smile creeps across his thin lips as he lifts his hand up, pointing at his chest. "You," he states, before moving his hand to point at the bottom of the board. He slowly traces his finger up the list, eventually coming to point to Rett. "There," he mutters quietly to himself.

A soft breeze brushes against his face as he drops his hand. His lips quiver slightly, "Damn, cold," he shivers, wrapping his arms around himself. He looks down at his outfit. "White sneakers, white pants, blue shirt, white hair..." Angus mumbles to himself. He shifts his star shaped irises to the building next to the leaderboard, nothing a large and colorful sign plastered above it, 'Shop'.

He takes a hesitant step toward the building, reaching into his pockets to pull out a piece of gum. He rolls the stick between his fingers before placing it in his mouth, holding the gum between his teeth as he approaches the glass doors with his hands in his pocket.

"I wonder if they have any cyan-colored sweaters for this weather. Maybe a cape, it'd be kinda cool to see it flap on the wind," Angus murmurs absently, blowing a bubble. As the bubble pops, the glass doors slide open.

"One small step for man," he begins, dramatically lifting his foot as high as he can, "And one big step... for the climb," he finishes, disappearing behind the glass doors.