Chapter 7

I felt slightly sick as I stared around the faces of the amphitheater.  Everyone was so excited, pointing enthusiastically to the stage on occasion, talking eagerly to those around them at all other times.  It was clear they were all in deep anticipation.  They were all waiting for-- for something.

Trying to keep my expression cool, I glanced beside me, and was relieved to see that I was far from alone on the stage.  A good two dozen other people were there, gazing impressively up at the crowd; some of them seemed pompous, waving theatrically to their spectators, while others seemed to have more or less the same mindset as me, and stood wringing their hands or biting their lip.

A sudden hush fell over the crowd as they watched someone mount the steps to stage.  I caught my breath.  I recognized this man: Jidos Amolnor, our king.  As little as I paid attention to politics and media, his was one face that I could recognize easily.

The man who had led me out onto the stage bowed low, as did everyone else, so I instinctively joined in.  "You couldn't have made yourself look more presentable?" the man asked in a mutter, stealing a glance at my clothing, from the frayed neckkerchief to the trousers that had been muddied by the rain.

"What is going on?" I whispered back urgently.  Before he had time to answer, however, his attention was diverted.  The king was beginning to speak.

"Welcome!" he said in a deep, booming voice that had somehow been amplified to ring throughout every inch of the amphitheater.  "Welcome, one and all, to the opening ceremony of the great Dicella Trial!"

The crowd roared in applause, but the people on the staged with me stiffened.  I could understand why.  I knew what the Dicella Trial was.  It was the barbaric method of choosing the next king or queen, created long ago by a queen named Dicella.  Thinking back, I did recall hearing talk about the Trial coming soon.  I supposed the king had announced his imminent retirement.

"Six hundred and thirty-four years ago," the king continued, "The honorable Queen Dicella herself created this competition, in order to select a worthy heir to the throne.  I stand before you now, ready to pass the crown on to one of my twelve wonderful children."

This, then, explained who the other people were on the stage.  I knew that our current king was rather well known for adopting children, never having been married himself.  It wasn't until the twelfth one that one of his advisors had decided that he should stop there, for fear of having too many contestants in the Dicella Trial.

But that didn't explain why I was here.  I looked around at the others on the stage again.  Yes, most of them, including the man beside me, were dressed in the finest royal garb, but others were not.  I tried to think back.  Someone, a fellow merchant perhaps, had once told me the rules of Trial.  Yes, there were supposed to be others involved besides the princes and princesses, but I couldn't remember what--

"The rules are simple," the king was saying as I thought desperately, trying to figure out what was going on. "Each of my children will enter into the badlands, armed with nothing but their own intelligence, courage, hardiness, and companion of their own choosing.  There, they will live-- live and fight-- until only one remains.  He or she who proves themself most capable will be the one to rule the kingdom!"

The crowd cheered wildly again, and I found myself irritated with them for interrupting my thoughts.  A companion of their choosing, I thought hurriedly, But surely he can't mean--

"I wish now to introduce to you each of my sons and daughters, as well as the companions they have chosen.  If each of you will, please, come up in turn."

A tall, slender woman who'd been standing on the far left of the stage approached the front, with a plump, middle-aged, frizzy-haired woman trailing cheerfully behind her.  "First," the king announced, "my daughter Aigua Amolnor, accompanied by Edevi Uvona, a wiccan and healer from the city of Dalorcum."

Another cheer from Princess Aigua's supporters.  My head was spinning, my thoughts racing.  No, I can't be right.  This is a mistake.  I'm not supposed to be here; why am I here?  Princess Aigua moved back to her spot, while a dark-skinned, broad-shouldered, rough-looking man took her place, along with an abnormally tall man who leered intimidately at the crowd.  "My son Skanac Amolnor, accomanied by Dwacaro Veot, a necromancer and spirit-speaker from the city of Majesya."

This time, I felt as if I couldn't even hear the crowd applauding; instead, there was just an unsettling alien roar flooding my ears.  I felt the man next to me grab my forearm and half-lead, half-drag me to the front of the stage.  I looked nervously at the faces lining every inch of the amphitheater, staring expectantly down-- at me.

"My son Dalliran Amolnor, accompanied by Samut Nalir, a brewer from the city of Ethene."

It was all I could do to keep from fainting.  Confused mutterings mingled this time with the scattered applause, and I leaned heavily on Prince Dalliran for support as we walked back to our place on the stage.

I'd finally recognized him.  He was the customer who had bought my elixir of life.  I had told him that I was a magical brewer, and that my potion would make him invincible.  No wonder he had been so quick to believe me; no one would ever dare to lie like that to a member of the royal family.  Unless, of course, they were particularly stupid...

Prince Dalliran practically had to hold me up to keep my legs from buckling as we waited for the other princes, princesses, and companions to be introduced.  Several times I tried to speak to him, but he always shushed me and averted his eyes back to the king.

It seemed to take forever and a day before the king finally finished.  He gazed jovially up at the crowd, then announced in his overly-pompous voice, "There you have it!  I welcome each and every one of you to join whomever you support to the Badlands' edge tomorrow, to see them off on their perilous quest!  Until that time, I bid you all good day!  And to my sons and daughters," he added, turning to face them, "may fortune favor you!"

The crowd dispersed so quickly, I barely had time to register it.  I turned rapidly to talk to Prince Dalliran, but he was already halfway out of the amphitheater.  I rushed to follow.  My lead-like legs seemed to be moving of there own accord; I was in a daze.  Several people came up to me to wish me good luck and shake my hand, which I returned limply.  My mind stayed in a fog until I left the amphitheater and felt a hand grab my wrist.

"Samut!" Lapis cried, pulling me towards her, "What happened in there.  I tried to see, but it was so crowded, I-- good gracious, what's the matter?!" she said, eyes widening as she finally got a good look at my face.  "You look like you've seen a ghost!  Are you alright?"

I bit my lip and shook my head.  Meeting her eyes, I mumbled sickly, "There's been a mistake.  A huge mistake."