THIRTY-THREE

Amphitrite was mostly passive when she hears about Poseidon's sudden flings from time to time. She never bothered to ask whether or not they're real since most of the time, they're made-up rumors.

But if she's being honest about Poseidon's "infidelity", it's not like he's purposely seeking out other people. Poseidon accidentally gets entangled up with them for whatever reason and his wife is usually there, watching in boredom to see how he gets out of it. Once in a while, she could see Poseidon looking at her, begging for her to help him. Amphitrite would ignore his cry for help most of the time and play with her mermaids instead.

When Poseidon really does need her to step in, Amphitrite gives out a casual curse to those who bothered the god, which eventually earned her title as a wrathful sea nymph. Not that she really cared or anything. Poseidon felt a bit guilty for that and gave her some gifts in return.

But it always kept happening so it always irritated the god, and then the seas would become rocky and unsafe for sailors to cross because of his mood. Amphitrite would also have a hard time keeping his temper down by offering some blunt, cold advice to watch out next time and to think better before getting wrapped up into those situations.

So, was Poseidon a bad husband? Amphitrite wouldn't think so in terms of respecting their marriage. But looking at him as a romantic partner? Eh, not really.

Which is why she was sitting on her throne leisurely, eyes gazing down at Elias. The male was uncomfortable, not really knowing what to say or do.

"So," Amphitrite began in a bored tone, "you must be the one who seduced my husband."

Elias looked up in surprise. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Apologies won't get you anywhere, I'll tell you that now. While I don't particularly care if my husband cheats, it's a different matter if he doesn't come home for a few days. All the women and men he sees are never interesting enough for him to stay for more than a day. You must be something."

"Uh, I literally went fishing-"

"You know, you're pretty handsome," Amphitrite sighed before beckoning a mermaid to come over. The sea creature came up to her and offered a plate full of treats. Amphitrite took one and looked over at Elias. "Want some?"

"I just ate... I'm okay."

"Then tell me something about yourself. What do you like?"

"Sorry?"

Amphitrite frowned. "Hobbies? Certain interests? What do you like to do?"

Elias found this whole ordeal strange, but it's not like he could refuse to say anything in front of Poseidon's wife. She looked impatient.

"I'm not really into anything," he sounded uncertain. "I mostly stay inside and read, I guess."

"That's... it?"

"I'm not the most interesting person," he flatly admitted.

Amphitrite quickly responded, "No, no! That's alright. There's nothing wrong with staying indoors. You know, Poseidon does that quite a lot, so you aren't alone."

"Uh... thanks..."

"So! Tell me about your relationship with Ares," she demanded. "The two of you seemed pretty close to me. Are you..."

"Am I what?"

"You know, what I mean. Are you... Ares' partner? Romantically?"

Elias recoiled. He's never thought about Ares being his partner at all. They barely even know each other than the fact Elias just realized his true identity!