THIRTY-FIVE

Going back up to the surface was a lot easier than the time Elias trudged through the underworld with Cottus. Amphitrite and Ares were careful when they took the boy up there, but the woman couldn't help but to bring two of her mermaids along with her. At least until they breached the waters near Delos.

Elias was supposed to be happy he made it back to Delos, but he awkward stood right beside Ares' side, almost hugging him just as the God of War wrapped an arm around the boy. The two of them were watching Amphitrite break down into tears at the edge of the docks while her mermaids were frantically trying to appease the nymph.

"Should we do something?" Elias asked the god.

Ares made a face. "If I ask her to stop crying, would that work?"

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

"I don't see you doing shit either."

The two of them flinched when Amphitrite cried even louder. Her voice rang dissonance through the air, and Elias was worried about anyone coming out to check out what was happening. He wasn't that nervous about them taking a peek at the woman since she disguised herself with regular brown hair and dull black irises, but the person he was mostly worried about was Ares.

Right now, the god hardly changed himself and stayed in his regular form with charcoal black hair and fierce ruby-like eyes. He still gave out an imposing aura which was troublesome.

Ares gripped Elias tighter and scowled at the woman. "Would you shut up? Not only is it too damn early, but you'll also attract the mortals."

Amphitrite sobbed into her hands. "I-I can't... I'm so s-scared... what was I thinking coming up here? She'd t-think I'm creepy trying to approach her..."

"I literally don't even give a fuck. I'm only here because I want to know who she is."

Elias elbowed Ares' side. The god didn't flinch at the impact, but he did glower at the boy. "What?"

Elias stopped for a moment, still wary of Ares' rough tone. But after a while of knowing him, he knew Ares would always be like this, so Elias wasn't that worried if he'd offend him.

"Let's just help her up."

The two of them looked back at Amphitrite, still crying at the very edge of the docks while her mermaids restlessly sent pleadings gazes at Elias and Ares. The god honestly thought about telling them to take Amphitrite back down to Poseidon's palace since it was obvious Amphitrite wasn't ready, but Elias sighed and went out of his way to push himself away from Ares.

He walked over to the nymph, bending down and offering a gentle hand to her shoulder. "Do you want to go back, or do you want to stay here with me?"

"I-I don't know, I-"

"Hurry up and make your decision!" Ares hollered from the other side.

Elias got up and glared. "Ares!"

"Sorry!"

Amphitrite wailed louder after Ares' apology, but Elias hurriedly crouched down next to the woman and tried to comfort her. He looked down at the waters, shooing the mermaids away. The creatures glanced at one another, not exactly comfortable with leaving their mistress like this, but at least Ares and his companion were here to watch over Amphitrite. Reluctantly, they submerged themselves under the waters and left the woman behind.

"Your Majesty, you can't keep crying like this," Elias begged. "I thought you were happy with this idea."

"What if something happens? She might not like me, and she'd think I'm just a creep who keeps following her!" Amphitrite ranted, not noticing Ares coming up behind them with a heavy frown on his face.