Epilogue

Listening to the soft howling of the wind and the coastal songs of birds, rushing past foggy fjords, absorbing the soft daylight with his skin, Mew freely breathes with his chest, in which a reliable feeling finally settles that he is in the right place and at the right time.

For two seemingly endless years he has not been in these lands. He hasn't seen Dragonfly for two years. Bjorn wrote to him that for six months now Gulf has been living alone in the valley. There, on the border of Uhtred's lands, there is a small cabin, more like the dwelling of a hermit who renounced all earthly goods. But Mew knows how much lust for life and stubbornness there is in his Gulf. And although he scolded Bjorn and Mild for letting omega live there alone, but remembering the character of his brother, he assumed that he simply left them no choice.

Mew wonders: what if he's wrong. What if Gulf is not alone at all… And he shouldn't be so worried.

Well.

If he has a decent alpha next to him, Mew won't mind. No matter how unbearably his heart aches, he has no right to object.

The cabin is really small. And yet, it is worth paying tribute to Uhtred: on three sides the building is securely hidden by hills from evil eyes.

Gulf.

The omega wipes sweat from his forehead, leaning on a hoe.

"I'm more used to seeing you with a bow and arrow."

Barely has time to finish, and hastily wiped on his shirt, his palms close behind the king's back. Hides his face on his chest. He whispers something indistinctly. And Mew strokes his hair flowing freely over the shoulders: their whole life over the past few years has been a series of short meetings and long separations. And how many more such fleeting being close are measured to them — Heavens know.

"Let's go inside. Uhtred will wake up soon."

"Uhtred?.."

"Yes."

"How is that possible… Did he leave the Saxon land without notifying me and come here to live with you?"

Gulf silently rolls his eyes. Mew is the first to release his brother from his embrace, and then begins to sniff Gulf's neck.

"What are you doing?!" Gulf laughs, throwing his head back.

Mew is confused: the omega still smells like himself.

And if not, then what? According to the customs that bound them, Uhtred is still his husband...

Dishes start rattling in the house.

"He's awake," Gulf smiles, nodding to Mew and inviting the brother to follow him. "Come on."

"Gulf… Just tell me one thing: are you happy with him?"

"I'm very happy. Well, are you coming?"

With his head down, Mew trudges after the omega.

Gray, emerald-flecked eyes. And a sparsely toothed smile. About five years... And how can this be explained?

"You're already here—" Gulf laughs, ruffling wavy light brown curls.

Then he looks at the king:

"You see. There is an alpha in the house. You don't have to worry about me."

Mew has more questions than answers. Gulf anticipates them:

"His parents helped at Olaf's monastery. They were assassined when the monastery was attacked… Not everyone accepts the new faith so easily. You know that, don't you?"