1.2 - Ezra

I stepped out onto the deserted street, looking both ways. Plowed snow had been pushed aside into small mountains on the edge of the sidewalks. Steam rose from manhole covers, a car rolled past at the end of the street. I'd never been to New York City before, and even with all my traveling between the worlds, I'd never seen a city like this.

Vasco shifted his weight on my shoulder, and let out a soft caw.

"It's alright," I said, reaching up to steady him. The crow-like demon had nearly doubled his size since I'd first found him weeks ago. Now, he was nearly the same as a full-grown raven. I hoped he didn't get too much larger, or carrying him around on my shoulder was going to be a problem in a number of different ways. "Settle."

Taking a deep breath of the cold air, I focused on the last of my missing family, turned, and started walking. I'd wanted to do this weeks ago. I needed to have it done months ago. But things kept getting in the way.

I turned a corner, pulling my jacket closed against the cold air. This street was more popular, even this late into the night. Cars drove past in a blur of lights and an occasional horn. People were lingering on doorways and steps in their coats with cigarettes.

The line of talent that tied me to this Reinhardt was thinner than the others, but that didn't mean he was any less important. Or in any less danger. As Head of the Reinhardt Family, I knew he was out here. I also knew that Nathan would stop at nothing to have access to summoner blood. And while this kid didn't have the use of his powers as of yet, I doubted Nathan would care. If he thought that there might have been more Reinhardts like me, hidden out in the world by their parents, he would hunt them down and use them for his own gains to further war between the Necromancers and the Witches.

I guessed that I had another block or two of distance to cover. Even in the dim street lights, Vasco stood out. People pointed, some called out to me, trying to get my attention. I ignored them. Even though he stood out, his presence on my shoulder was a comfort. A reminder of my childhood of when Poe would sit in the same spot. Then, he was only a Stanwood familiar, a pet that had watched over me since I was a newborn. Until Nathan had killed him.

The pain was bittersweet still. At least I knew now that I could find Poe at the Temple in the Halfworld. I could still talk to him and ask his advice. But it wasn't the same as having him by my side as I had for so many years.

Slowing my stride, I could feel that I was close. I paused on a street corner, glancing around. Down the small alleyway to my right, was a group of people. They lingered around a lit doorway, a sign above proclaimed it a club of some sort. The brick wall and metal door did nothing to hinder the heavy punk rock beats from spilling out into the world around us.

He was there, standing half in, half out of the shadows by the door. Blonde hair cut short and spiked, the tips black. He wore a leather jacket against the cold and silver piercings caught the flicker of a flame as he leaned in to light a cigarette.

Here was the last of the Lost Children. He looked older than I was, but I couldn't tell if that was because he was truly born before me or if it was something else that had aged him beyond his years.

An ear-splitting screech erupted from Vasco, carrying well over the loud music from the club.

"Stop that!" I attempted to clamp a hand on his beak, but he was quicker and bit me instead. I winced, but at least he stopped with the loud noise. I was trying to break him of the habit he was so fond of.

Whether fortunate or not, we'd attracted the attention of nearly everyone in the alley. Ready or not, guess now was as great a time as any. I stepped forward, walking slowly to the group. The others around the Lost kid were dressed the same as he was. Ripped and torn tight jeans, leather jackets, and a few black knit beanies against the cold. Nearly all of them were smoking. One tossed their cigarette to the ground and stomped it out, his short mohawk might have been dark blue. Or maybe black, it was hard to tell.

Stopping on the edge of their group, they turned to look at me, dumbfounded. I mean, I get it. I wasn't dressed like them. My jeans were still newish, boot cut to fit the worn doc martins I'd had for the last three years. They didn't know me, or my navy hoodie. It was something more suited for the southeastern winters that I was more used to. And let's not forget about the 'bird' on my shoulder. That probably wasn't something they saw every day, right?

"Are you lost?" The one with the mohawk asked, looking at me up and down. There was an edge to his tone.

"No, I think I'm where I need to be," I said, quickly trying to think of a way to separate the Lost kid from the others. I didn't exactly want to talk about family and Necromancers, and the war in front of just anyone. If I was lucky, they'd think I was crazy. If I wasn't, well, there could be someone else.

Mohawks' eyes narrowed at me, but then he clapped the Lost kid on the shoulder, and said, "Whatever. Come on, Jett. I want a good spot next to the stage. Mel looks hot tonight."

They all moved for the door, and I saw my chance slipping away.

"Hey, Jett?" I called.

He turned to look at me, eyes narrowed and uncertain. The others stepped past him and went into the club without a glance back.

"Can we talk?" I asked him as the last of the others stepped past him and into the club. The door slammed shut.

"Why? I don't know you." He yanked the door open.

"But I know you, and I know your family," I said quickly.

Jett hesitated. "Get lost. I don't have a family."

"But you did, once. Your parents might be gone now, but you have a family-"

"Look, kid," he rounded on me angrily. "I don't know who put you up to this, but you need to drop it. Now."

Vasco shifted on my shoulder and I saw Jett's eyes flicker to him.

"Reinhardt," the demon bird said.

Jett's eyes widened and he shuffled a step back.

I was as surprised as Jett. Vasco had never spoken before, I didn't know that he could. I tried to crane around to look at the demon, but instead, I caught movement at the end of the alley. There was a middle-aged guy in jeans and a nice-looking brown jacket standing across the street, but he was staring at me, and I knew why.

"Who do you think you are?" Jett yelled. "You think that's funny? Who put you up to this? Was it Gil?"

I moved around, trying to keep both Jett and the witch in sight. "Look, no one put me up to this. I'm honestly just looking for some of my relatives, and I'm pretty sure we're related."

Jett glanced back, but I doubted he saw anything out of normal.

"I know this is strange, but I don't have a whole lot of time to explain and it isn't safe here. Come with me and I'll tell you everything-"

"Yeah, no. I don't think so." Jett turned for the door again.

The witch was at the end of the alley and I was out of time. I had to at least make sure Jett was safe before I left here.