5.3 - John

It was a strange feeling being comforted by Poe. He kept his arm around my shoulders a tight grip on my upper arm that felt like an anchor in the sea of my frustration. Finally, I shifted away from Poe, wiping at my eyes and nose impatiently.

"Sorry," I said.

Poe shook his head, glancing off into the darkness. "No need to apologize. Falling apart, breaking down, it's a part of life that everyone is familiar with. But what matters most is what you do next."

It wasn't hard to guess what he was talking about. The question was could I pull myself together again? Could I force myself to keep going, even though I didn't have a clue as to what I was supposed to do next?

I felt lost in my own skin and I didn't think a proverb was going to be enough of a guiding light to get me back to where I was if that was even possible.

"Let me ask you something," Poe said, turning back to me. "What happens when you use your power?"

"I kill things," I said without hesitating. "Or I summon a portal."

"But what happens within you? How does the power feel moving within you?"

I paused. "I've never studied it like that. I just try not to use it."

"You've avoided it," Poe clarified. "You can summon a portal like any one of my descendants. I'm sure that if we were to go down into the jungle now, you could take a demon to summon as well. But that's only two things; there are other tricks Reinhardts can do with their magic and I've no doubt that your power is the same. It may take time, years even, twisted as it is with what little remained of your old magic and the pool's connection to death. But I know that you will persevere."

Poe patted me on the shoulder and climbed carefully to his feet. "You should go get some rest. I'm sure the others will be looking for you if they aren't already."

He was right, about both things. I'm sure Hunter had probably started looking for me by now and I would figure this out. Eventually.

I needed to start with what I knew, and figure out bit by bit what I could control and what I couldn't. It might feel hopeless, but I couldn't lose sight of what was in front of me. I had friends to lean on, friends I needed to be able to protect. I had Poe to bounce ideas off of, possibly even Cameron too. Hunter's father was a Witch aligned with the earth element as I had been before the poison had burned it away. If my new magic was anything like the old, he may be able to help me figure it out.

And, I also had Hunter.

The thought of him brought an ache to my chest. Today had been a hard day and I wanted nothing more but to feel his arms tight around me and rest my head on his shoulder. Standing, I glanced out over the dark expanse of jungle and the multitude of stars surrounding the waning moon. A new resolve settled over me with a sense of peace. It wouldn't be easy, not by a long shot. But I had a direction to head in and enough support to back me up.

I would figure this out. I just hoped I didn't kill anyone else in the process.