Vol. 11, Ch. 23: Miyuki's Plan

Volume 11's POV: Miyuki Sekken's POV

I was frozen to the ground. It felt like the Earth had stopped spinning. My mind was so foggy and dizzy that I forgot where I was and what I had left to do. The only thing to shake me back to my senses were the fire trucks that pulled up in front of the building.

Knowing I had to leave, I reluctantly pulled myself to my feet and began to turn around... though, I would be stopped by a sudden glimpse of something in the corner of my eye: A light. When I turned back around to see what it was, it was Sora. Sora's body... was glowing with Ki! If his body was glowing, that meant that he had to be alive, right? That's what I had hoped to be the case.

I gasped and quickly knelt back down to his side, putting my hand on his cheek. "OH COME ON, YOU WERE ALIVE?!" I shouted with shock... though, it turns out that I was wrong... I got my hopes up for a false cause. He wasn't glowing because he was alive, but actually for the complete opposite reason, which I was soon to figure out when I held his cheek, then feeling the warm sensation of that Ki being located elsewhere... into my own body!

The sudden boost in energy left me speechless. I sat there in a mix of confusion and disbelief. That was his power... his own strength. Why was I the one to take it though? I knew there were so many other worthy people than I, a coward, was. The only reasoning I could think of was because I was the only one there who could take that power. I had no time to process the situation though, because I knew I had company coming quick. The sound of boots quickly running towards my direction shook me to my feet, so I disappeared deeper into alleyways without hesitation.

The first thing I noticed with Sora's gift was that my speed was much greater than before! I was equal, if not just a little stronger and faster than Sora was. I will admit, I did have a little fun with this power when I sprinted through the town. It didn't take long to cross entire streets anymore! Cars that moved down the main street looked like they were snails, and to them, I looked like just a blur! I could dodge around traffic, weave through people, and cross every alleyway in very little time!

This power did take a lot to get used to. It was hard getting adjusted to Ki in my first few weeks of training, but now I had to learn how to control myself with more than twice that power in only a few short minutes. The thought of obtaining that control was ludicrous, but I knew that there were others in my group who would aid me if all goes wrong. That's what I expected at least... but I was under the impression that I was only getting my hopes up... again...

...and unfortunately for me, 

...that was exactly the case.

After minutes of searching through the town, I was finally able to locate where the rest of my team was. Just finding one of them, I could see the others laying massacred not too far ahead. Every single one of them had ended up suffering the same fate as Sora: a hole pierced through their chests and laying in pools of blood all over the street. It was a horrid sight that shook me to my core! What kind of person was able to take out four powerful Ki users?!

Just down the street was the group who chased after Stronzo, who all laid dead just the same.

I couldn't take it anymore.

If Sora's death wasn't bad enough, now everyone else I knew was gone... again. I saw friends laying with friends. Their faces were ones of peace, like if they hadn't realized they were dead. If I waited any longer, I knew I would join them too, but the shock of it all still made me hesitant to move.

I had mourned more than I could handle with Sora, so by now I was only left with the feeling of empty numbness. Then that numbness began to transform into a different kind of feeling. I could feel a burning sensation in my chest... and then energy. I hadn't felt energy like this in ages... It was like there was a different kind of power growing in me. It wasn't sadness, it wasn't fear, and it wasn't the impulse to flee. It was something else.