Summara's Invitation (55)

Last time:

"Because, Y/N. I love you. Those words will never be enough to explain just how much I love you. I never want you to leave my side. I mean it. Don't leave me. Now, give me kisses."

Now, we continue:

Raphael's POV:

Philip walked out of Simeon's bedroom. I waited in the hall.

Philip's eyes widened as he faced me.

"You told them, didn't you?" I sighed.

Philip accused me, "How could I not tell them? They need to see that doctor."

"No, we need to end this. You still know nothing. Y/N shouldn't be a part of this yet. We have to get rid of Simeon first."

"You still won't tell me what's going on. How am I supposed to help you if you won't tell me anything?"

"I don't want you to help me, Philip! I just want to get Y/N out of this mess before it becomes uglier."

"I want to help Y/N, too. Tell me what's going on."

"Why? Because you love them? Don't you know that you're related to Simeon? Are you sure it's not- that you're not like him?"

"How do you know you're not like him, either?"

"Because I didn't fall for them when I first saw them. I hated Y/N when I first met them because they threatened my relationship with Simeon. I wasn't head over heels. Can you say the same for yourself?"

"No, but I-"

"You can't."

"If you hated them when you first met, how do I know you aren't trying to hurt them so you can get close to Simeon again?"

"It's too late for that. Simeon is too close to Y/N. If Y/N is hurt, Simeon will do the same damage to himself. He'll never take me back, and I don't want him to. I just want to save Y/N and put an end to all of this."

"What do you mean by that? Put an end to it all?"

"I can't tell you. You'd tell Y/N."

"What if I promise I won't?"

"Your promises mean nothing, Philip."

I walked away, only for him to follow me. I need to leave the palace before Simeon spots me. Now that he's home, I'm in danger.

Y/N's POV:

Why was Raphael here last night? I can't get it out of my head.

"Y/N, are you with me?" Simeon asked as he squeezed my hand.

I stopped in the hallway. "I'm just a bit lost in thought is all."

"What about? You can tell me anything. I don't want us to have any secrets."

"It's nothing important. Just worrying for my family."

"If you want we can visit." His tone made me wary. Did he pick up on my lies?

"They stress when anyone visits. I can't do that to them," I dismissed him.

He gulped as he pushed open the doors to the meeting room. The council members are already seated.

Philip isn't here. Where did he go? Is he not coming today?

Simeon didn't let go of my hand as he took his place at the table.

Leland cleared his throat as he lifted up a sheet. "King Simeon, it is lovely to see you."

"The pleasure is mine." His serious tone is back. I can barely recognize him when he turns serious like this.

"We have a few matters today. Queen Adrianna is now dead, but I have word that there are others who still follow her. We've captured all but the child that resides in her home. That child has managed to kill many of our forces."

"A child?" Simeon chuckled. He wiped the smile from his face. "Send Philip. He can simply say he's Adrianna's son and that he wishes they'd stop. The child should listen."

"Send your own brother? But sire, that child is extremely dangerous!"

"Did you hear me or not? Is it not our best option? Philip will go."

Leland sighed and slid the paper down the table towards Simeon.

"Next matter, securing an heir." Leland glanced at me, then back to Simeon. "Have you already tried? Have you tested?"

"Not tested," Simeon stammered.

"Then test. If it's negative, then you must take a consort. I don't care how you do it, but that consort better become pregnant."

Simeon furrowed his brows. It's clear he doesn't want to.

"It's alright, Simeon. I don't care," I reassured him.

"It doesn't matter if you care. It matters that I do. I don't want to get someone pregnant just to take their child and leave them. Even if I pay them with luxury, that is no life I want to force on another."

"Ask for what they want out of it, and give them that."

"We can talk about it later. What's next, Leland?"

Leland shuffled his papers. "There are still sightings of the Red Knight. It seems they're even more aggressive."

"We will deal with them gradually. Weaken them for the next generation to deal with."

"Ok, well, the kingdom of Summara is asking for your presence. They wish to reinstate former agreements now that there is a new king."

"Summara? When do they wish to hold that?"

"The sooner the better. They want you to appear by the end of the month, or at least write back."

"Tell them we accept their invitation, but first I'd like to clean up the kingdom a bit. It has gone a long time without a solid ruler."

"I will handle that, your majesty," a man I know chimed in. He's with the Red Knight.

"No, I'll do it," I stepped forward. Simeon's eyes met mine, with a confused look on my face. "It'll mean more if it's coming from either Simeon or I, right?"

"You're busy enough. Let me write the letter," Leander stayed humble. I can't help but take this as a threat. He could send a threat in that letter. I know he wants the downfall of our kingdom. Summara being at war with us would make it easy for the Red Knight to defeat Simeon.

Thank you for reading this chapter!