Chapter 5

Booking it back to my ride, I refused to look back at the accusatory man who felt it was only fitting that he should dump a bunch of condiments onto my head in the belief that it would somehow ward off evil spirits or what not

Booking it back to my ride, I refused to look back at the accusatory man who felt it was only fitting that he should dump a bunch of condiments onto my head in the belief that it would somehow ward off evil spirits or what not. I scoffed at the superstitious jargon, how could he even think I was remotely evil or possessed ill intentions? Even squashing unwanted insects that would find themselves in my apartment made me feel guilty.

My adoptive mother died from natural causes, not because of some curse that a baby had put on them all those years ago just because they decided to take her in. What was he thinking, saying I was some wicked witch that had come from the sea? Do I look like I could grow a fishtail out of nowhere like some fictional creature? How was I supposed to gain anything from this, his recounting didn't seem logical at all.

I sighed thinking that all of this, trying to uncover my past and putting an identity to myself has all been for nothing and a huge waste of my time. Valuable time I could have been spending back in the city working my three odd jobs and saving every cent I could.

The road to my revelations led me to a steep cliff that abruptly ended my journey, looking over the deadly decline would show me nothing but an empty abyss, telling me that there was nothing left to search for. Yang Chinhae had been my last chance for insight and he failed me exponentially.

Some of the salt which he tossed on me had fallen down and had gotten stuck in my eyes, causing them to well up from the unbearable stinging. Blinking and rubbing them continuously, I tried not to lose sight of where I was going. I certainly didn't want to stumble into the sea and drown or worse wind up back at Mr Yang's doorstep. I shuddered, he would surely send me to hell then like he so wished.

I trudged my way slowly along the familiar path that had led me towards the 'old grump's' home in the first place, the vegetation increasing in numbers as they messily overlapped one another to create an overgrown forest of sorts. I felt myself relax ever so slightly the further I distanced myself from that man and the horrendous ordeal that had taken place.

Emerging from the shrubbery, I was greeted by two smiling faces that quickly changed to one's of shock and astoundment the moment they took in the sight of the undoubtedly hopeless state I was in at the moment.

"What in tha name of Neptune's beard happened to ya?"

Coming over to me Dongha brushed his hand over my clothes dusting off loose grains of salt that had stuck on to them.

"Did that good for nothin' barstard do this to ye?"

Sungwon joined him at his side and looked me over, seeing if I was hurt or not. When he saw the state I was in and me not too discreetly rubbing my sore shoulder, his usually friendly face that I had come to know from the time I've spent with him and the rest, warped into one of pure rage.

"That's it, Imma go n' straighten him out!" he spoke, marching around me and towards the place I had come from. "He's gotta re-learn some darn manners."