Chapter 10

It has to be around here somewhere

Following the directions in his head from mere memory, the young male swiftly navigated through the waters in search of the spot he saw it last.

If he could find it again then it was sure to bring a smile to his weary mother's face, she deserved a little positivity outside of her usual dismal outlook of the present.

Rotating his head to scope out and get a range of all the surrounding scenery, the constant swish of his ruby-red tail drew out and dispersed bubbling ripples from the friction. If he timed everything right he should be able to find it and get back to his post in roughly ten minutes max, it wasn't too much of a stretch to worry. After all, it was either now or wait for another convenient opportunity to arise, but in his current predicament, they were far and few between.

Compared to everyone else in his tribe, he wasn't granted much freedom outside of his line of duty. Him being subjugated to live out his current days within the restrictive boundaries of his home territory, unable to breach beyond those points without facing a stern reprimand. He knew the reasoning behind it, that it was for his own safety and protection, however, that didn't stop him from accumulating feelings of doubt and frustration as the years went by.

He wanted to be able to move about without having a constant feeling of prying eyes on his back, just waiting for him to break the rules. No, he wanted to live and explore the world and experience all the wonders of life, to traverse new horizons.... kind of like what his late brother used to do...that man thrived on adventure and the knowledge that came out of it. But at the moment he was trapped, like a great big fishing net had domed over his home area preventing his escape. He was able to move to a certain point but ultimately that invisible barrier was limiting his life's potential. He craved something well... more.

Tumbling rocky hills surrounded the merman as he glided through the waters. A flash of red popped up suddenly at the limit of his vision, boldly contrasting against the common bluish hues of the ocean, making his eyes light up in relief.

Thank Delphin, he thought. Praying to unseen deities had actually worked for a change.

The corners of his mouth turned up forming a brilliant toothy grin, in the words of his lieutenant, one of a rabbit –not that he'd know what such an animal was in order to make such a comparison. Whether it was an insult or compliment on his superior's part was beyond him. That aside, his smile would've had more than one innocent mermaid back home fawning over him; and he should know since it had happened many times.

As the merman swam closer, the blurred crimson mass slowly took shape, the hues becoming more solid as they wove into one another to coalesce into slender branches that all originated from a central base.

Coral.

Gorgeous red fire coral; a sight that enlightened a bittersweet nostalgia within the young male's chest. It warmed his heart while also weighing on it, the unspoken knowledge that he wouldn't be able to experience any such past occurrences again.