Victoria Drummond

Victoria Drummond was the first female marine engineer. She was born in 1894 and her godmother was the famous Queen Victoria. A woman that is talking about her in this video is her great niece. Victoria always wanted to be an engineer, so her family encouraged her. Like many upper-class girls, Victoria was educated at home. She showed an early interest in mechanics. Her family was surprised when she said she wanted to take up a career in marine engineering. But in 1915 at the age of 21, her father encouraged her to take up an apprenticeship. To be an engineer, she has to go off and train. She lived a happy, country life. Always up for a challenge, Drummond set her sits on becoming chief engineer.  She was denied the certification over 30 times because of her gender. That didn't stop her though and she became the first woman to get the certification. You have to sit in an exam to be an engineer and she sat it 37 times. And she knew it was because she was a woman that they said no. But she persified and finally wore them down. During the second World War, she serves second engineer on an American cargo ship. One day it was attacked. She was in the engine room when they were attacked. She sent everybody out of the engine room and kept the engines going. In fact, she managed to make more speed than the captain thought was possible. And they zig zagged out of the danger way. Despite her injuries, she made sure the ship had enough speed to avoid the German bombs. 

During World War 2, Victoria circul the globe, visiting countries like America, South Africa, and at the time the SSR. She didn't slow down, working for white star liner cargo ships. Her 40-year career as a marine engineer allowed her to see more of the globe then most people ever dreamed of. She really pushed the boundaries for women. And able her to follow behind. To overcome all the discrimination and to be so determine and forge a career of her own chosen. It's something we should all look up to. She paved the way for more women to get into engineering. This would be unthought of a hundred years ago. This is an inspiration, and these women should be remembered as a trailblazer as they are. 

She lived in London with her two sisters. Today, engineering is still a male dominated industry so it's more important than ever to celebrate women pioneers, like Victoria Drummond.