Amy Freeman

Amy sat staring at the crystal windchimes that hung near the window of their living room. The windchimes reminded her of the Lost Cities, and the Lost Cities reminded her of Sophie. And she really, really, needed to be reminded of Sophie.

Her Lost Sister, as Amy liked to call Sophie, had disappeared a few days ago, off to save the world from a group of bad guys called the Neverseen. And, yeah, that was great and all but... sometimes Amy just wanted her sister to herself. But it wasn't like she could see Sophie anyway. She was in the Forbidden Cities, and she couldn't contact Sophie, who was in the Lost Cities, unless it was a serious emergency. And so far, an emergency hadn't popped up.

Amy sighed, listening as the wind made the windchimes sing out a tune. She fidgeted with her emergency Imparter, to only be used when she needed help - "help" as in, a life-threatening thing. Not having trouble on her math homework, or needing help with school. A life-threatening emergency. As if anything like that was going to happen.

Just then, a thud came from the door, and Amy froze. She slowly stood up, wondering why Watson wasn't barking. She was home alone, no one else with her except for Marty the cat and Watson the dog. Who on Earth was there?

Amy ran upstairs to her room, shoving the lacy curtains that covered her tiny window aside. She peeked out, expecting to see someone she knew - Ellen, maybe, or Audrey, or Evelyn. She just wanted to see a familiar face. But it wasn't anyone she knew - or, at least, she didn't recognize their faces.

A girl with golden hair stood at Amy's doorstep, a woman with inky-black hair behind her. The woman looked down to her wrist, and tapped her foot impatiently. Amy ran downstairs again, and tentatively reached for the door. She swung it open, facing the golden-haired girl and the black-haired woman.

Amy tried for a smile and a friendly voice. "Hi. This is the Freeman household. I'm Amy Freeman. How are you?"

The woman tried to smile but it looked more like a grimace. The golden-haired girl covered it up though, and said with a warm smile, "Hello. I'm Beatrix Roth, but you can call me Trixie. This is my... babysitter, I guess, but I'm way too old for babysitters." Trixie rolled her eyes. "My parents insist on it though, so I guess I have to. Anyway, my babysitter's name is Violetta. And yes, she is the same wonderful ray of sunshine as she is now." The last bit was added with sarcasm, and Trixie grinned at Amy. Amy couldn't help but grin back, feeling really relaxed around Trixie.

"S'anyway." Trixie picked at her nails. "I--"

Just then, as Amy relaxed her guard even more, Violetta the babysitter lunged at Amy, slipping a dark bag over Amy's head. Trixie gasped, horrified, still playing her part. "Violetta! What are you doing?!" Trixie gasped out.

Violetta snarled, and said, "Wildfire, you have no need to keep on pretending to be the airheaded Beatrix Roth!"

Trixie - Wildfire - sounded angry, and she yelled back, "For your information, I really am Trixie! Just not Beatrix Roth! Got it, Vespera?"

"You may be Gisela's favorite, Inferno, and higher rank than me, but you are still only twelve!" Violetta - no, Vespera - shot back.

"As if that matters!" Wildfire retorted. "Now, I don't know how you managed to convince Gisela to do this, but let it be known that I completely disagree with this. Just finish, Vespera - the sooner we get done, the sooner we can do other things."

Vespera growled, and Amy heard the annoyance and anger in her voice. "Fine, Wildfire. But it's not easy, you know!"
"Well, don't expect me to help! This isn't my idea!" Amy heard stomps - Trixie's stomps.

Vespera tied the bag over Amy's head, then tied her wrists together, then her ankles. The rope seared against Amy's skin, strangely cold, but pulverizing. Vespera made a noise of satisfaction, then called out to Trixie, "Wildfire! She's tied!"

Wildfire walked back, and said, "Is she stripped of her belongings?"

Vespera's voice came again, annoyed, and Amy imagined Vespera rolling her eyes. "Yes. I am no amateur!"

"Fine,"said Wildfire. "Give them to me."

Vespera snorted, and there was some jangling, like something was being passed over. "This is good," Wildfire said, probably after inspecting it. "Thank you."

Amy was shoved forward, and she fell - her feet had yet to be untied. Vespera laughed, and Wildfire said, "Vespera, there is no need to pick her up. She'll just fall back down again. We can still lightleap with her on the ground."

Lightleap. Amy knew that word. It was the elven way of traveling, and she'd used it before, with Sophie. Who were the bad guys Sophie was fighting? The thought came to Amy at once - the Neverseen. She'd been captured by the Neverseen.

Amy felt a hand grab her arm, and they were whisked away to wherever the Neverseen were taking her.

Amy had been knocked out, and when she awoke, she was covered in scars, scratches, and bruises. Her hands were still tied, as were her feet, but the black bag had been taken off her head. Amy looked around, at her jail cell. It was dark, with an eerie red light coming from the front, where iron bars closed the opening. The floor was hard, not cement, but something like that. In the corner, a tiny rag lay, next to a small bowl of stale water, and a tiny plate with a green wrinkly speckled fruit lay.

Amy reached into her pockets as far as she could go with the bonds still on her hands, trying to find her emergency Imparter. Then she remembered that Vespera had given Wildfire all her things, and she mentally smacked herself, but still kept on searching. Finally, her fingers reached a tiny sliver of metal, and she took it out, watching the reddish light gleam off the silvery surface of her Imparter. She still had her Imparter. But how? Maybe Wildfire was trying to help her after all.

Amy held the Imparter to her face, and crawled to the darkest corner of the room, her blood streaking the floor. She had no energy to hail Sophie, so, instead, she sent a video of herself, battered and bruised. "Sophie," Amy said, using the last of her energy, "I'm captured by the Neverseen. Help. I need help. Spare... Spare the girl... called Wildfire. I need... help." Then she passed out, the Imparter falling from her fingers to the floor. Her last thought was: I hope Sophie comes.