Jolie Ruewen

Jolie walked purposefully down the lane to Brant's house, Misthaven. She could've just leaped directly there, but she'd decided (at the last minute) that she wanted time to think about what she was going to say.

Jolie passed the silver tree that she and Brant had carved their initials to. She had, now, only five minutes till she would reach the door of Misthaven. She mentally prepared herself for what was to come.

The night before, she'd attended a secret Neverseen meeting, as a Black Swan spy. She'd discovered that the mysterious Neverseen leader was actually the person she loved more than anything - Brant. So here she was, preparing herself to change his mind.

Jolie had reached Misthaven, and as she prepared herself to knock on the door, she took a deep breath. Then she pressed the golden button near the door, and waited as the chimes echoed inside the house.

The door opened, and she was greeted by Brant's smiling face. His smile faded a bit when he saw her, and he motioned for her to come in. "So you know, huh?" He asked when she sat down on the royal-blue chairs in the foyer.

Jolie nodded, saving her voice.

Brant quieted, and he whispered, "Mom and dad don't know... we have to keep it quiet."

Jolie took a deep breath. "Brant. Why did you do that last night? I know you're better than that. And you're a pyrokinetic?"

"I did it for reasons you don't need to know, Jolie. And I am a pyrokinetic." This last bit was said with a touch of pride.

"Why did you do it?" Jolie persisted. "There were people in there, Brant. People. And you killed them. Why?"

"Not people, Jolie," Brant growled, "humans. Not people. Humans."

"Humans are people, Brant! Why did you do it?"

"I did it because humans are the reason we're banned!" Brant roared. "They're why we're in hiding, why we'd be branded a bad match! They're responsible for everything."

"No, they're not. Brant. I know you can be better than this. Just join us. Please." Jolie grabbed Brant's hands, even though the danger of catching fire was looming closer every second.

"No." Brant's voice echoed. "No. I can't. You don't understand. Jolie. I'm doing this for you. So we won't have to face the scorn."

"I don't care about the scorn. I love you!!"

"It's not enough." Brant's hands became so hot that they burned Jolie's, and she jerked away. A flash of shame covered Brant's face, but it was gone in an instant.

"Please. Brant, you're better than this. I know it! You can join us - the Black Swan! We can help you!" Jolie reached out to Brant, afraid that he would burn her again.

Brant stepped back, his face angry. "You're part of the Black Swan."

"Yes." Jolie raised her chin proudly. "And we can help you."

"No. You can't." Brant's hands were steaming and flickering with flames. Jolie took another step back.

"Yes. We can. And we could be together."

"NO WE CAN'T!" Brant yelled. His whole body erupted into flames, and everything around him was engulfed in that same fire. He was shaking, and Jolie took a step forward.

"Yes we can," She said softly, reaching out to him. "It doesn't matter the scorn we'll face... just matters the love and joy we'd have together. Like Kesler and Juline. We can be happy too."

"NO, WE CAN'T!!!" Tears streamed down Brant's face, and his face turned red. "ALL MY LIFE I HOPED TO MANIFEST, WISHING WE COULD BE A GOOD MATCH TOGETHER! ONLY TO REALIZE THAT MY ABILITY IS BANNED!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT IS! NO IDEA!!!"

The next few seconds were a blur for Jolie. Heat seared her eyelids, smoke filled her lungs, and flames licked her body. There was a deafening BOOM! and she felt herself get thrown back. Then, with the smoke searing her throat, and the flames burning her everywhere, she grabbed the locket Brant had given her, and whispered, "I know you're better than this. I love you. Good-bye, Brant. Good-bye, my love." Then she breathed her last.