Chapter (46): The past with secrets

"Yes," Jiang Yanli answered, "It's a prominent clan in the northern mountains. I heard its home is as tranquil as a lake and the mist enveloping it gives it the appearance of a place floating on an ocean of clouds! The disciples there are also disciplined and well cultured."

"Woah... Sounds very prestigious. Oi, Jiang Cheng. Are you going?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Of course I am. Everyone would if given a chance. The lessons at the Lan Sect are invaluable and famous for a reason. They only host the classes once every decade, and each time it lasts two years. They don't accept just any disciple either. If you didn't receive an invitation, you'll have to take their entrance exam. But to take it, you'll have to meet their standards. For example, you must conduct yourself properly and neatly, you must have learnt basic etiquette and basics of the six rites of art. Because of that, there's basically no one who can enter without one. Our Sect must have received an invitation that lets about ten members of our sect to go learn there. This is a precious chance. So of course, I will take it."

"Eh..., then I'd better come along too. I heard they have great alcohol!" Wei Wuxian said, remembering the time when Yushi Huang took him and his sister to Gusu. He remembered that town had a really good liquor called 'Emperor's Smile' which was also his Jie Shi Qingxuan's favourite. Then he faintly recalled having a fight there. The kid he fought back then... his surname was Lan. He must have been a young master of the Lan Clan, Wei Wuxian thought.

"That's what you're thinking!?!!" Jiang Wanyin yelled, but he was ignored.

"Ah, by the way, does the Lan Clan have a young master around our age?" Wei Wuxian asked.

Jiang Yanli thought for a bit before she answered, "In this generation, the Lan Clan has two young masters. They are praised as the twin jades of Gusu. The elder one is a couple years older than me. So the second young master would be around your age, both A-Xian's and A-Cheng's."

"Oh...," Wei Wuxian listened attentively after which he nodded a few times.

"Oi. Don't try to change the subject just because of this news. Wei Wuxian, do you remember what you did at Fengdao village?" Jiang Wanyin scowled.

"Ah..., I already forgot. What did I do?" Wei Wuxian sighed and sprawled out on the chairs again.

"You! You ran towards the monster even though it was extremely dangerous! Were you trying to die!??" Jiang Wanyin exploded.

"A-Xian ran towards the monster?!" Jiang Yanli was horrorstruck. She covered her mouth in disbelief. "A-Xian, is that true?" She asked.

"I wasn't! I was just trying to subdue the monster." Wei Wuxian explained to soothe Jiang Yanli.

"But A-Xian, that was very dangerous."

"Yeah. And if you had died, Father would've pinned the blame on me. Do you understand how much trouble you put me in?" Jiang Wanyin continued fuming.

"Don't worry, i'm not gonna die. Chill, chill. Ah, look! The chicken's here!"

Wei Wuxian glazed over the subject and as soon as he saw a group of maids bringing several dishes, he pointed at them excitedly, eyes glinting. Right after, a group of maids brought a large bowl of spicy steamed chicken along with other side dishes and bowls of rice. Jiang Yanli, Jiang Wanyin and Wei Wuxian dug into the sumptuous dinner.

The young maids prepared their meals but their eyes were glued on Wei Wuxian throughout. Noticing their gazes on him, Wei Wuxian smiled at them brightly. That made the maids fumble around and hurriedly leave the pavilion with flushed cheeks. On the way out, they continued to shake one another around and squeal about how handsome Young Master Wei was.