CHAPTER 7

“This is the best!”

“The best…”

Theo echoed, as if it was the first time he heard ‘the best’.

I held out a mirror to Theo.

“…”

Theo stared at his own face for a long time. I spoke with high expectations.

“Maybe I actually have a huge talent for cutting hair?”

There were some awkward spots here and there, but it looked very good overall.

I couldn’t really tell if it’s because of my skills or Theo’s face. Let’s just ignore that.

“Don’t you like it?”

But maybe that’s just my opinion, for Theo’s expression didn’t look very good.

I carefully observed Theo’s face in the mirror, feeling extremely anxious.

Did he catch the mistake I made? It’s in a place where you can’t see!

“If you do this, you can clearly see my eyes.”

“Huh?”

I tilted my head and looked at Theo.

Theo was pressing down on his bangs with his hands to make them appear longer.

“…I don’t like it when my eyes are visible.”

“But you knew I was going to cut your hair.”

“…Yeah.”

Theo, uncertain of this change, studied his reflection once more.

Theo’s wound was bigger than I thought, as he couldn’t even properly make eye contact with himself .

I cautiously began speaking.

“Theo, if I say this, you might laugh. But still… .”

I was very different compared to Theo.

Contrary to Theo’s color, which is said to be the symbol of the devil, I had revered golden hair and blue eyes.

Because of that, I speculated that if I complimented Theo’s hair or eye color, it wouldn’t sound sincere.

Perhaps, if he believed it was all a deception, I would feel terrible about it.

However, I still wanted to express my feelings to Theo.

“I like your black hair because it reminds me of the night sky, and your red eyes glisten beautifully like rubies.”

Even the colors that seem mundane are pretty.

I like you as you are.

“I’m serious. I truly think so.”

I hesitated, still holding the mirror.

“So you don’t have to hide it. I’m not sure what you’d think of me saying this… Still, I wish you had the confidence…”

“…”

It was then.

I fell silent and blankly looked at Theo.

As if spring had come after enduring a long winter, like finding a sprout in a barren land…

The warm feeling that tickled my stomach made me feel dizzy.

I could feel my heart pounding in my small body.

“Other times, you were always confident, but now, why do you look at me like that?”

I wasn’t the only one whom spring had arrived for.