Level 4

The beaches of Okinawa had always been pretty. That was a fact of nature, of time making mountains and sea shaping land. It wasn't just Gojo — who thought that any place where Suguru's soul lingered was beautiful. This place, where the sand was soft against his feet and the blue sky was steamed with billowy yellows and greens, was picturesque all in itself.

Still, it was hard for him to recognise those things without acknowledging that he could still taste the scent of his best friend's cologne in the air, or hear his laughter echo from one stretch of shore to the other. Perhaps he had been too infatuated, what with the way his pale eyes traced empty air reminiscing the way long black locks fluttered in the wind all those years ago. He couldn't help it.

Suguru was his one and only.

A small, shelless hermit crab crawled along the side of his sole; Gojo stared at it, wondered if it was just as lost as he was without anything to tether it to the grandiose world that stretched far and wide. It must've been scared without anything to shield its back from the whipping tides, too frantic to appreciate the warm waters that washed with them. Gojo felt like that sometimes, always.

Without Suguru he felt afraid, the title of the strongest be damned. Like a child, he still looked out in search for the Sun amongst a plethora of stars, because that light was the biggest, that light was the one he knew well.

But the Sun didn't shine at night, and Gojo's world had always been an eternal black.

He could scarcely remember a time where there were others who lived under the same dark sky, nor did he ever want that to be the case. His vision was his curse, only able to see the black and white outline of a multi-coloured universe. It hadn't always been that way, but he couldn't tell when it had all changed. His mind was in a constant state of static around a single image — lifeless lips and a body he refused to burn.

That body belonged to his world after all.

The wind picked up the slightest, sending a shiver down his spine that snapped him back to reality. The crab was nowhere to be seen, maybe it had been washed away, maybe it had moved on. Gojo sighed, and breathed in — unsure if the metallic taste that tinged his tongue was sea salt, or the smell of blood.

--

(a/n: hiii! if you're reading this right now i just want to say tysm for giving this story a chance and being patient with me^^ i'm extremely sorry that updates have been all over the place, my exams finish this month so afterwards, i swear that i'll have a proper schedule!! this update is my way of an apology, so pls accept it and forgive me;^;)