Chapter 1

Art by cherrykitkat

"Hurry up, slowpoke!"

Dandykit, a small yellow she kit, rushes across camp, giggling the whole way. Chasing her is Chestnutkit, a brown tabby tom, and his sister Gingerkit, who's fluffy and orange.

"YOU'RE the one who should be hurrying!" Gingerkit challenges. "We're gonna catch you!"

As she says this, she trips and stumbles backwards. Chestnutkit sprints past her, pouncing onto Dandykit and pinning her into the grass.

"Got you!" He smirks.

"Shucks," Dandykit giggles. "It's your long legs, nothing more. Don't think TOO highly of yourself."

"That's what you want me to think," he purrs, stepping off of her. "I'm gonna be the fastest warrior FlowerClan has ever seen, and and can't stop me!"

Dandykit rolls onto her feet. "Where's Gingerkit?"

"I think she fell." Chestnutkit looks behind him. Their mother, Poppyspring, is helping Gingerkit get back onto her paws.

"Are you alright?" He walks over to them and examines one of Gingerkit's paws. "Your paw is pretty dirty."

"Yeah I'm alright," she responds. "I stepped into a little hole. Mom says there's probably mice hiding underground!"

"I wanna catch a mouse!" Chestnutkit's eyes sparkle.

"You can when you're a warrior, son." Poppyspring picks up Gingerkit in her mouth by the scruff. "For now, let's go see Phloxberry. Your sister should get her paw checked!"

"But I don't like the medicine den," Chestnutkit whines. "It smells gross, and everything in it tastes gross. Can't I just hang out with dad instead?"

"Adderdust is on a patrol right now," Poppyspring meows. "You'll can ride on my back if you'd like!"

"YEAHH!" Chestnutkit climbs onto Poppyspring's back eagerly.

"You're getting heavy," she chuckles.

"Can I come?"

Poppykit, a small russet she kit pokes her head out of the nursery. "I like the medicine den a lot!"

"You're not going anywhere." The growl of her mother echoes from inside. "Get back inside and go to sleep."

"But mommmm, I wanna go see Phloxberry!" Poppykit wails.

"No. Come inside. Now."

Poppykit sighs and disappears back inside. Chestnutkit watches the nursery, as it slowly starts getting smaller as he's moved away. He gives Dandykit a little wave.

"Wow, Poppykit's mom is really strict," Gingerkit meows. "She never lets her play with us!"

"Nope. And her dad is never around either! I don't even know who he is," Chestnutkit responds.

"It's none of our business, kits," Poppyspring purrs. "I'm sure you can play with Poppykit some other time."

They enter the medicine den, and Chestnutkit slides off of his mother's back. The den reeks of herbs that make his nose hurt.

"W-W-Welcome..." Phloxberry's pale yellow pelt peeks out from the corner of the den. "How can I help you, Poppyspring?"

"Gingerkit fell into a little hole while playing with Chestnutkit and Dandykit. Would you mind taking a look?"

"Oh, not at all!" Phloxberry gently takes Gingerkit from her and places her down onto some moss bedding, making sure not to let her wounded paw touch the ground. She lifts it up and examines it carefully.