CHAPTER 1

"Stop it mom I got it!" I snapped annoyed.
Witnessing her face fall might have crushed my heart almost instantly.
Ugh shit.
"Mom I'm sorry. You know I love you ? I'm just all nerves and my flight is soon. I'm sorry for snapping at you." I force a small smile on my lips as I bring my mom in for a tight hug.
"Jules don't make me worry about you too much..." She says with her hands cupping my face.
Its five in the wee hours of the morning, I didn't plan to leave with tears soaking my face and a runny nose full of snot.
"Okay I got it. FaceTime every night, text you every morning and photos of my new place, yes I promise you i wouldn't forget. Never even if im knocked out and rushed to the ER." I joked sarcastically. My eyes were glassy and my throat was hot. Correction: my throat was burning and drops of tears were already leaking and rolling down my face.
God im such an idiot.
I'm gonna miss her. I'm gonna miss my only family.
"Bye mom!" I yelled as I entered the terminal. It took a good ten minutes to pry her hand from my wrist. I wouldn't let go either.
But it's a new day and a new life.
IM A NURSE.
At least when I get to Minnesota, Rochester.
Yes you heard me.
I'm on a three-hour flight to start up a career in the one and only... Mayo Clinic.
Absolutely no shit. The only reason my application went through has to be the constant hard work I poured my soul into when taking my degree. You could imagine. But then you couldn't, because i had two hours of sleep per week. Never in my life would I have imagined myself making it this far all on my own. I've had some crazy poisoned cupids bow back in university, and I wasn't about to let that kind of love affect me this time.
No more relationships. Besides with a job like mine I'll be packed ! No commitment either ways. It's a win-win situation and I couldn't be happier.
Being only eighteen and already landing a job in the medical field is a big thing.
I'm still a child.
But yet again, im Jules. And I can just about do anything I wanted to.
I loop over a navy blue sweatshirt to protect me from the cold air and plug in some classical Mozart tunes.
Always the best.
I shut my eyes and was about to fall into a slumber.
"No way you're listening to Mozart." He snickered. My eyes shot open and glare at the man taking his place next to me. Here I thought I could make up for the lack of sleep i've had. It has been quite a while since i've been on board, im surprised people are still making their way up and settling down.
"Yes way I am." I replied a little offended. Maybe very offended.
"Are you like a boomer or something..." he chuckled, pulling the wire that connects my earphones and loop his own headphones over my head.
Did he just--
"Oh shit this sounds--" my eyes widened,
"Sounds bomb right!" He cuts in excitedly like a little puppy.
"Like shit." I finished, clawing his headphones of me and plugging my earphones back in place.
"Who taught you to just pull earphones off people." I complained, adjusting my position and trying to get comfy but yet scooting so close to the window the space between us could fit another person.
"You're definitely a party pooper." He mumbles as his once excited expression fall into disappointment and somehow sadness.
Sad? Why would he be feeling sad about this. I'm reading too much into it, Jesus Jules.
"Jesus what Jules..?" He says confused.
Did I say that out loud?
"My name is Jules." I smile awkwardly, reaching my hand out and pulling back before he could actually shake it.
I played that off so smoothly. I'm a fucking genius.
His eyebrows crinkles and damn did that look suit him.
What the fuck Jules???
This peculiar stranger has gorgeous brown locks and a jawline sharper than my kitchen knife, jeez. Oh would you look at his plump lips I could kiss it all day--
"What... the hell?" He retorted, his gaze still fixed on me and at that moment I thought nothing but my life flashing through my eyes. The plane taking off just made this all too dramatic.
"Im sorry did I just say that out loud?" I gasped.
He nods slowly and I could tell he's trying to say something but he's rendered speechless.
And here you thought a flight to Minnesota could change your life and make it better. Well the problem is the literal flight.
He frown was replaced with a ghost of a smile that didn't stay long. It disappeared as quickly as one could blink.
Maybe he didn't mind it ? Well who doesn't love a good praise now and then. Except for the way he's looking at me now speaks volume. I don't think he took that as a praise.
He gently turn my head and pressed into my lips softly before I had time to do anything.
"Uhm excuse me!" I push him away.
"Did u not want me to do this? Oh shit wait-- I thought you were leading me on or something?" His voice fading away slowly when he came to the realisation.
"Fuck." He muttered.
"Yea fuck dude." I repeated, Mozart's tune still ringing in my ears as I press my palm against my heart.
This is not cool.