10. Insane Sanity

The room grew silent, the tension between them loud.

"Tell me," Dean began, looking down at him. "Why did you kill that man?"

"I did it to protect my friend from harm," Liam answered calmly as he then raised his brow. "Is it such a crime to self defence, I believe you had once said."

"...I did," Dean replied hesitantly, stumped that the man before easily caught his words.

"Now, can you tell me me why you killed all those zombies for a living?" Liam then asked him, knowning he was already on a roll.

"I killed them to protect people from being eaten alive like animals."

"I understand, but I do hope you also understand that zombies only do that to live."

Dean looked at him stunned. "So, you accept cannibalism? Murder?" He asked, pounding whether he should shoot him right then and there.

Quickly, Liam shook his head. "No, of course not," He said, realising what he said did indeed sound...horrid. "I just believe we need to help them instead of killing them. Is it such a bad thing for me to believe in that?"

"It's cruel, I know," Dean began with a sigh. "But you can't just believe in some fantasy where the undead can live a normal life without the thought of eating one of us alive."

"I was once a zombie," Liam told him, slightly offended. "And believe when I tell you that I am perfectly normal as you."

"No wonder you're on their side then," Dean said, his voice toning his judgement.

"You're killing family, friends..." Liam told him looking down at the ground, trying to ignore what he had said.

"We are killing strangers. Monsters," Dean corrected him darkly, leaning in. "Like you."

Liam crossed his brows by that."My mother told me before she died to respect everyone no matter how different," He tried to calmly tell him, then repeating it again. "No matter how different."

"Well, then she's officially lost it," Dean simply said with a shrug.

Liam's fist tightened, feeling like he was talking to brick wall. "My mother was sane. Just as I am and Fran-" He immediately shut his mouth, realising it wouldn't do any good revealing Francis's name.

It'll probably get him killed.

"Who?" Dean asked him, curious to why he stopped.

Liam looked away, staring at the wall beside him. "No one," He quickly mumbled.

Dean wasn't going to have it, staring right at him dead in the eye. "Tell me, who is in charge?" He asked him.

"I am never going to tell you who he is," Liam said, refusing to ever tell no matter what he would put him through. "Never."

"Oh, so they're a he? Hm. What's he to you?" Dean asked him cautiously, desperate to know more.

Liam paled, realising he had just let something important slip. He decided not to let it put him down, risking more words to spill. And so, he glared up at him.

"Why do you care whether he is my friend, brother or lover?" He defended. "He is none of your concern."

Dean raised his brow at the word lover. He then looked down at him darkly. "I want to find him so that I can avenge my family," He told him. "Surely you can understand that."

"I don't, and I won't."

With a sigh, Dean looked away, lost in the memories of his past. "I lost everything to them. My friends, my family...my self," He said, nearly chocking up at the last part.

The man before him didn't reply, no pity or guilt seen on his face. With frustration, Dean looked at him, wanting him to hear him. Finally, have him understand where the cruelty truely lay.

"And here you are, supporting that loss," He said, looking at him with disgust. "I remember dying. Dying."

Liam scoffed, only fuelling his anger more. "You're lucky to have lived, you know?" He said, looking at him like he had only told him of a scratch. "I, however, died. So, get over yourself. Man up."

Angrily, Dean grabbed onto his collar. "Oh, go fuck up a zombie, huh?" He spat at him, then letting him slump back to the floor. "Surely then you'll understand what I felt that night."

"Friends, not zombies," Liam tried to calmly say to him.

Dean scoffed. "You're stupid to think that zombies are any good," He said, only hearing nonsense from him.

Liam scoffed, mimicking him."You're stupid to think that humanity is any good," He said back, speaking of a truth.

"You're just a fucken group of extremists, aren't you?" Dean asked with a glare, already tired to continue on arguing with him.

"Extreme?" Liam asked, shocked. "You really think it's extreme to bloody care for another?"

"Yes, when the other wants to eat you alive," Dean told him with a frustrated sigh, but he then slowly stared down with a wicked smile as he thought of something. "And now when I come to think of it, I think we should just do the same to you all. We are loosing food, and winter is coming..."

Did he just fucken threaten to eat me? Liam wondered, disgusted as he were pissed.

"You are fucken sick!" He spat at him, trying to pull from his chains with his fists tightened. "Let me go! Let us all go. I swear, you'll fucken pay!"

Dean only laughed. "I'll like to see you try," He taunted.

Thoughts of the others flashed before Liam's eyes.

He began to worry about them, fearing the worst of their safety. Hopefully, they were all good wherever they were because just as he said, he'll make him pay.

"Time's up, zombie lover. It's time for you to pay," Dean interrupted his thoughts, smiling darkly. "And don't worry, I will make this quick."

Liam felt his heart stop. He was going to die right at the moment and there was no miracle to save him then. He wouldn't live to see another day.

He was never going to see Francis.

Just as he was about to pray to whatever heavens lay up there, somebody came banging on the door.

"Dean!" Someone called out, banging to be let in.

With his thoughts so set on killing him, Dean marched over to the door in a grumble. He unlocked it and opened it up, seeing Kevin at the door with a worried experience.

Hesitantly, Dean let him in, beginning to worry for what he was going to say. "What's happened?" He asked him, fearing the worst.

"It's Patrick," Kevin sputtered, his lip trembling. "He's been bitten."

Liam watched as Dean slightly parted his mouth, seeming shocked. Quickly, after adjusting himself to the news, he turned himself to him. He tried to glare, but concerned filled up his eyes more.

"I'll be back," He promised, rushing out of the room with Kevin.

Relieved for him to have finally left, Liam smiled to himself. "And I'll be gone," He also promised.

He looked at the chains that held his arms up, feeling that they were beginning to get sore. He ignored it, trying to plan a way to unlock himself from them.

But he decided to just wait.

Allying with recovering zombies did have it's advantages. Because there, outside his cell at his door, he heard the moans of armed zombies. With a few bashes with their strength, he could hear, they broke the lock.

Slowly, the door opened wide, ready for his planned escape.
________________________________________________

Word count: 1250