The spell

After I recite the spell, we wait. Nothing happens. I won't find out if it worked until I go to sleep. I am not excited about that.

"Well, there isn't anything that we can do now, so I guess I'll be on my way." I walk towards the door.

"You know where to find me." He says.

I nod and walk out.

Small time skip

I pick up my diary and sit down on my bed.

I can't remember the last time I wrote an entry. I suppose I didn't really have the time. I see him practically every day. It's not just a once in a while thing anymore. I know he doesn't admit it, but he cares about me. He is so determined to stop these dreams of mine. I want to get closer with him, but I think he made it clear that he just wants to be friends. I'm so embarrassed that I kissed him. He never even acknowledged it. My cheeks flush at the bare thought of him. What's not to like about him...

I stop writing. I think I've developed feelings for Hunter.

I fling my diary on the floor and shove the covers over my head. 

My wrist hurts. I look down and someone is holding it tightly. Oh my god. The spell didn't work. I think I'm going to faint. Hunter stops walking and bows in front of the emperor. I do the same, for the sake of my own life.

"Y/n. I know there are so many questions you have. All to which I have the answers to." The emperor says.

"Would you be so kind as to answer them?" I'm really walking on thin ice talking this way to the emperor, but I don't care anymore. What's there to lose? I'm already in too deep.

"You're right about the interfering dreams. I'm the one giving them to you." He says.

Welp. I didn't see that one coming. But I can't say it doesn't make sense.

"What do you want? And why are you telling me this in a dream? Why not just tell me in real life?"

"I need you to help me. I can't have you telling anyone what I'm about to tell you."

"Me, help you?" This has to be a joke. "You're the emperor. You don't need anyone's help."

"You have the key. To bring us to the human realm." He says.

Did I hear him right? I didn't know the human realm actually existed until now. I thought it was a myth. I look at Hunter, but he remains without saying a word.

"Why do you want to have access to the human realm?" It's clear why, but I want him to say it. He wants to have power over both worlds.

"That's none of your concern. All you have to do is cast the spell that opens the portal."

I'm so screwed. What do I do? I can't do much until I wake up. But the last thing I'm gonna do is help him get to the human realm. 

"I'm waiting." He says.

I can't let him do this. I just have to waste some time.

"I forget how to do the spell," I say.

"Don't be ridiculous! I just taught it to you." Hunter speaks up.

"You won't be waking up anytime soon. Besides, even if you do, it's not like you can leave the boiling isles without me knowing." He says. "Either you live or you die. It's up to you."

All my life I've been told that I have choices. Never did I think that one of them would be between life and death. But what's the point of only helping myself? I need to make the choice that benefits people other than myself.