On my own

Y/n's POV

How could I have pushed him away like that? All he's ever been was kind to me. I'm filled with regret. Well deserved regret. I spoke without thinking. I really have to stop doing that. There's nothing I can do because I know Hunter won't want to listen to what I have to say. Serves me right. But I'm still not giving up. Even if Hunter's not here, I can still do it on my own. Do what exactly though? Defeat the emperor?? Hah. Not gonna happen. I don't stand a chance against him. But I have to try.

Maybe I don't need Hunter anyways. I'm 'powerful', right? Why else would they need me to get to the human realm? Yeah. I don't need anyone's help. I sigh. There's nothing I can say to convince myself that I don't still wish Hunter was by my side.

Small time skip

Okay, I've come up with a plan. First, I go to Emperor Belos. Of course, I'll have to take out the guards before, but I can handle that. Then... I don't really know. Alright, I'm just gonna make this up as I go. Let's do this. I'm walking to the throne room running over what I will do in my head.

"Iris! Where were you today? You weren't at training." Lydia appears in front of me.

"Oh. Hi Lydia. I'm uh- actually in the middle of something right now. Can we talk later?" That is if I live to see her again.

"Sure, that's fine. I have a date with the golden guard soon anyways." 

That's right. I forgot she was still supposedly dating him. Or I guess I tried to forget.

She waves to me and walks away. I shake the thought of Hunter out of my head. I can't have any distractions. This is important. I reach my destination and look to see what I'm dealing with. Only two guards. Not bad. With one quick movement of my hand, I trap them in some vines. I make sure to cover their mouths so they can't make a sound. Here we go. There's no going back now. I push the doors open. And there's Belos. Sitting on his throne almost as if he was waiting for me.

"Y/n. What brings you here?" Belos asks.

"You know exactly why," I reply aggressively.

"It was a mistake for coming here in the first place. I would've left when I had the chance." He gets up from the throne.

"That's because you're a coward." I clench my fists.

"It's very unwise of you to speak this way to me. I can kill you."

"Your threats don't scare me. I'm not afraid anymore." Even though I speak with confidence, my heart is pounding through my chest.

"I thought you might say that." He walks closer to me.

I prepare for anything he might throw at me.

"I know you don't care about getting hurt, but what about your friends?" He asks in a hushed voice.

I'm taken aback by the question. "I don't have any friends." Lydia doesn't count...

"Hunter?" He leads forward.

My heart finally stops pounding. My eyes widen in fear.

"That's- that's your nephew! You would never hurt him!"

"I can if I need to. Remember, if he dies it will be your fault."

My head is spinning. Please no. Anyone but Hunter.

"All you have to do is open the portal to the human realm, and Hunter will be fine." 

"But I don't know how to-" 

"It's your choice y/n." He replies in a cold voice.

There's that word again. It's my choice. It doesn't take longer than a second for me to make my decision.