The Virtual Proposal

The conversation soon felt like it crashed and burned after you mentioned that it was getting late, you were struggling to keep yourself awake, yawning in between every sentence you spoke.

Neither of you were looking at the screen as Taehyung opted to stare out of his window instead, admiring the bright sunshine, unable to believe that you were talking to him in the pitch black.

"I hate this," he suddenly spoke up, scratching over the top of his head, glancing back across to you on his laptop screen, "I love being with you, but the whole long-distance part is just getting so difficult for me to deal with, especially after all these years we've been together."

You smiled weakly, "it's far from ideal for either of us, I agree."

The two of you had had several trips to visit each other, you knew Seoul like the back of your hand, and Taehyung knew your hometown too. Unfortunately for the two of you though, the weeks that you spent with each other with sparse, and very lucky indeed.

"It's got me thinking a lot recently if I'm honest," Taehyung added.

Your eyes looked back to the screen as you felt the conversation was picking up again, trying to stop yourself from yawning, knowing how much Taehyung hated to see it.

"What are you thinking about?"

His eyes glanced down at his desk for a brief moment, "I've been thinking about us, and my fears of what might happen soon."

The two of you had been relatively comfortable in being long-distance for the three years that you were together, but unbeknownst to you, Taehyung was finding it harder and harder with the longer that the two of you were apart from each other.

"What might happen soon?" You asked as Taehyung began to go silent once again, "you're not fearing that the two of us could break up or something, are you?"

His head instantly shook, assuring you that that was far from the case. If anything, Taehyung wanted an assurance, to know that you still wanted to spend the rest of your life with him.

"I've been thinking more about the two of us trying to be more serious, being so far apart still makes me worry that you might find someone at home, more suitable," he admitted.

Your eyebrows knitted together in confusion as you tried to understand exactly where Taehyung was coming from. It was a conversation that the two of you had had several times before, assuring one another constantly that the distance didn't change your feelings for one another.

"I don't want anyone else but you," you told him.

"And I know a way to make sure of that."

You continued to watch with a puzzled expression as you heard Taehyung opening the drawer of his desk and quickly closing it again, acting as if nothing was happening though on the screen.

"Thousands of miles are between us right now, and that sometimes feels as if that's a thousand reasons why we shouldn't be together," he spoke, keeping his tone calm.

"Where's this coming from?" You asked him, unable to shake the feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach as to where the conversation was going to end up going."

Taehyung hated being away from you, not being able to call you when he wanted, send you a text and not get a reply straight away, all of the little things most other relationships had, he wanted for his own one too.

"It's coming from the part of me that wants security," Taehyung told you, "that wants to know that even though you're away, you're still here with me."

Your head nodded back at him, "why now? If you want to break up with me or something Taehyung, then cryptic clues aren't the way to go about it."

"I'm not breaking up with you," Taehyung reiterated, keeping his voice settled, "in fact, I'm trying to do the complete opposite with you right now."

You continued to watch the screen as Taehyung lifted his hand up to reveal a box, carefully opening the lid to show off to you a diamond ring that he had purchased, in the hope that one day it would be a ring that you would get to wear.

"This is an engagement ring," he told you as your eyes widened in disbelief, "it's yours, whenever we next get to be together, properly, I wanted to propose to you."

Your head shook, "I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything, this is probably a lot for you right now."

Your mind was a mess as you tried to piece together what was going on. One moment you were convinced your relationship was over, and in the blink of an eye it suddenly felt more committed than it ever had done before.

"I don't want to propose over the phone," he laughed, "but I want you to know that I want the two of us to be together, forever."

Your smile slowly turned up as the sight of Taehyung on your screen with a ring in his hand began to sink in for you. You still couldn't quite believe it, engagement was something you'd never even considered, especially being so far apart.

"I'm not rushing you into anything as this isn't a proper proposal," he continued to assure you, "it's just a warning for what I plan to do next time I see you."

"Whenever that is, I'll say yes."

Your sudden reply rendered Taehyung into shock, snapping the lid of the box down. He wasn't expecting an answer from you, he didn't need the promise of forever from you, not yet at least, and not over the phone.

"This isn't a proper proposal," he told you again, wanting to make absolutely sure that you felt no pressure in giving him a response.

But you didn't need any time to think though, although he was so far away from you, there was no one else that you wanted aside from Taehyung. With time the two of you would be together, properly, when your worlds would align.

"I want for you to do it in person, I expect you to be down on one knee and all sorts," you quickly told him with a wide smile on your face, "I've got high expectations."

Taehyung nodded, making sure that he listened closely to your instructions, "hopefully it won't be too long until you're able to come out to Seoul, you know as soon as you get the time off, I'll get the time off too."

"My boss is a loser," you chuckled, still struggling to come back down from your high, "that's the one downside of working over here, workers are made to work all day and night."

He struggled to stop himself from saying it, but Taehyung knew that you wouldn't get treated that way in Seoul, you'd get looked after, by a boss, and by him too.

"Sometimes I do think about what life would be like working over with you, it excites me to think about quite often too."

It was almost as if you could read Taehyung's mind, yet another reason why the two of you were so well suited with one another. You both could see the perks of being together in Seoul when the time was right.

"One day," you smiled across to the screen, "we'll be alright."

"Of course," Taehyung agreed with you, "one day there won't be thousands of miles between the two of us, and we'll be able to be with each other every single day. We've just got to bide our time and wait."

"The moment will come, I'm surer of it than ever before."