chapter twenty-seven

TW: mention and usage of guns, mention of hospitals, feature and mention of terrorism, police presence, mild gore, mild language

lo-fi, part two of two.

"returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars " - martin luther king.

-

Derek, Rossi, and Genevieve were all walking into the bullpen after delivering their two profiles to the NYPD cops and field office agents. They'd expressed their more likely theory - a submissive/dominant personality duo, and their second guess, that the murders were some form of gang initiation, which gave them plenty of paper files to go through, scavenging through hundreds if not thousands of names for people who fit their profile.

"What's going on?" Genevieve asked as she saw Hotch and Kate leaning over a phone, worried expressions on their faces.

"We got eyes on one of them," Hotch said tightly. "He's on a subway platform on 59th and Lex,"

Genevieve winced, remembering Derek's suggestion from the previous night to have the team out on that very corner.

"59th?" Derek repeated angrily. "We could have been right there!"

Hotch didn't say anything, and jabbed at a button on the phone, putting Garcia on speaker.

"He's got a gun," She said breathlessly.

Genevieve put a hand up to her face as she heard another voice on the phone exclaim.

"Oh my god,"

"He shot her," Garcia said sadly.

"Where the hell are the police," Kate spat as Derek threw his hands up in the air frustratedly. Before anyone could say anything, she dialled a number on a phone at a nearby desk. "This is Kate Joyner with the FBI. We have a murder suspect, subway platform 59th and Lex,"

"He's getting away," Garcia's voice rang.

"Can you get eyes on him above ground?" Rossi asked.

"He's heading west on 59th street,"

"If he gets to the park, we've lost him,"

"The uniforms should be getting there any second, just give it a little-" Genevieve tried to reassure anybody, but she was cut off by an unfamiliar voice - probably an NYPD tech that Garcia was working with.

'We've lost the visual."

"Are the police on the scene?" Rossi asked.

"Negative," Garcia responded dejectedly.

"We could've had that guy," Derek addressed Kate. Genevieve wanted to say something, tell Derek to watch his tone with a superior, but she was mad too. Another life had been lost on their watch, and they weren't anywhere closer to finding their Unsubs.

"Even if we were on that platform, odds are, he would have moved on to someone isolated," Kate disagreed.

"Maybe, but it was worth taking a shot,"

"I had every available man on the street," The blonde said defensively.

"And I suggested to you that you use this team," Derek fired back.

"Morgan, second-guessing doesn't help us now," Hotch cut in.

"Hotch, how am I supposed to look these cops in the eye and tell them we're here to help them?"