Grafton Manor, Grafton Regis, Northamptonshire, England Mid October 1454

He's true to his word. It takes them a while and a lot of convincing especially with Warwick to convince the council that it is a good idea. He argues that I am frightened for my cousin safety and that I wish to visit them before the wedding. After a personal plea from myself York and the council capitulates. Soon I am instructing my ladies in waiting on packing and Nora is again complaining that we still have to leave the excitement of court for the country.

After the packing is done we set off. We arrive at Grafton to see that the place is in complete disarray. With the children just hearing about their father's charges and with the new baby in the house it leaves Anthony and Lewis to quell the hysteria that is brewing. Needless to say regardless of how much of an intellectual you can be, sometimes it's just impossible for you to control a situation that has completely gone rogue. Lewis and Anthony are the perfect example of this. They may know Greek and Latin, but when it comes to managing a household full of children they are completely clueless.

Elizabeth and her husband Sir John Grey are already there when Edward and I arrive. They are trying to get things under control but it takes my household and an extra set of hired hands to finally get everybody to calm down. In the end Edward tells them of the situation and everybody's relieved to know that their father is most likely to face no punishment for a crime it was not committed by him.

When young Richard asks him what will happen to the garrison at Calais Edward simply shrugs and says, "That's not up to me. I don't know."

The children accept this but Anthony, Lewis, Elizabeth, John, Edward, and I all know what will happen to the garrison at Calais. They will be tried for treason and the leaders of the mutiny will be hanged. It is not a pretty thing to imagine but it is the truth of the matter. I decide however, that that probably isn't the best thing to tell the children. And so we keep them busy, returning the older children to their studies and the younger children to their daily routine with their nursemaid, completely unaware of the chaos that is unfolding around them.

"You must tell me about your wedding," Elizabeth states as we walk along the river, "Gossip has been ever so slow here and I just can't wait for the details."

I smile fondly as I say, "It shall be at Westminster Abbey. The Duke of York plans for it to be quite grand from what I hear," my smile falls a little at the thought.

"You don't look all too happy about that," Elizabeth observes.

I shrug, "Sometimes I forget that my station here means that I will have to sacrifice some things. This wasn't the way I envisioned myself getting married, but I am happy nonetheless. I hope that this will be a new start for me." 

"So what would've been your version of a perfect wedding?"

I think for a little bit before I say, "When I was a little girl I always envisioned myself getting married at my family's chapel in Florence. And it wasn't going to be grand. We were going to have 20 people, all family and friends and then we would have a huge celebration in the great hall."

Elizabeth's eye flutter, "It sounds idealistic."

"Yes," I say, "and it's the farthest thing from what my weddings going to be. If you could have only seen Cecily Neville, when she and the Countess of Salisbury 265 me the guest list I thought I would faint! 265 people! I didn't even think they knew 274 people!"

Elizabeth chuckles, "I guess that's what happens when you are royalty. Who did they invite?"

I roll my eyes, "Just about everyone they could possibly be related to."

She laughed, "Sounds like a lot."

"And that's not all," I exclaimed exasperatingly, "My great grandfather took Philip decided that I needed Flemish ladies in waiting as well! So now there will be three more ladies in waiting and a couple of his ambassador's coming to court to witness my nuptials. So in my household will be bursting at the seams! I am already taking in two little cousins, a little bourbon children James and Catherine and then you get an Elizabeth Talbot is in my household. I am not even married and I am the guardian of three children."