Chapter 1: My name is Penelope

My name is Penelope.
I am 26 years old and I was born in Marseille, France. When I was 19 I worked in a perfumery in Paris. I fell in love with a lovely Parisian man named Arthur. Our marriage was from love. I was young and blind. He wasn't actually so free minded and gentle as he seemed. He treated me equally and respectfully at first. But an year of marriage I noticed that he's not so perfect. He began to be dangerously jealous and beaten up every man who just looked at me. After one more year he forbade me to work. He thought I was cheating on him in there. I was his first lover but I am sure that I am not his last. I think it's actually him who cheats on me. That's a reason he's so jealous. We are together for seven years now. And it's not getting better. He doesn't allow me to leave house much. Only when I am visiting my friend countess Christine de Chagny. She got married when she was two years older than me when I got married. She was 21. And it was probably better. Her husband Raoul is sweet, respectful, progressive and loyal. She understands me. Now I have to live with a man who just yells at me. I don't love him anymore. I don't know what to do.

   Penelope wrote in her diary. She was so sad how her relationship that she believed to be true love of her life ended up. She was sitting on the sofa and embroidered. Her dark brown hair were tied in a bun and she wore a pale light blue dress. She felt bored. The house she lived in had one floor with stairs. Arthur was at work and she had nothing to do. She didn't care what Arthur will do when he comes home. Often when he was working she left the house and went to the café or to visit Christine in de Chagny's mansion. And it was just the time Christine was drinking tea with her beloved husband. So, it would be indecent to bother her. ,,Penny?" it was a voice of her husband. Penelope sighed. Her love for her husband disappeared in his rude and pedantic behaviour. ,,Yes, Arthur?" she answered him and walked upstairs. ,,I'm home" he informed her. She nodded. She didn't like being alone neither Arthur coming back home. Also she had an suspicion that her husband was infertile. Because even after seven years of their marriage they had no children even though they wanted them. But Penelope was somehow right. She wouldn't want her violent husband to raise her child. ,,In the evening I want to visit de Chagny's mansion" she told him. ,,Then I will accompany you and then I'll pick you up" he nodded in his usual jealous tone. He was used to control his wife and that was one of the many reasons why Penelope began to hate him. ,,Well then" she said coldly.