Chapter 6: Decision

Penelope came home alone. She knew that Arthur would come back in a while and he'll be very angry but she felt kind of safe after Erik promised her his help if she needed. She was afraid of him at first but unlike Arthur Erik seemed genial but also clueless. Her husband was either much less intelligent and arrogant.
   She heard the sound of the door. Before she would even notice she felt a harsh touch on her shoulder. ,,What was that supposed to mean?!" Arthur yelled. ,,Did you think you can just escape from your husband in the theatre? Where were you?! Which opera singer were you hiding at? Which of them is the lover you slept with?!" ,,I didn't sleep with anyone in there!" Penelope said hopelessly. It was true but she knew that he wouldn't believe her. ,,Then explain how did you get out of there without anyone noticing?!" Arthur had to notice that. Penelope shook her head and didn't want to answer. ,,Look at me when I speak to you, Penelope!" Arthur shook her. ,,After all I am your husband!" Penelope was full of anger and sorrow. ,,Well, yes. But I wish that you weren't! Marrying you was the biggest mistake in my life!" She yelled at him back. It was the first time she did it. Suddenly she felt a slap on her face. He did it. He actually hit her...  ,,Don't talk to me like that! Remember I am your husband. You're my property!" Penelope held her cheek. It was painful. Arthur never hit her before. ,,I warned you" he said before leaving in the bathroom.
   That was too much for Penelope. She thought about what Erik promised to her. But was he really able to do that when she meant nothing to him? Who would put themselves in a danger of being chased for a stranger? Maybe he would hide her but he wouldn't harm Arthur. And it wouldn't help her much. If she wanted to be free Arthur had to die. It was so hard for her to admit it to herself but it was her only chance to get her freedom back. He wouldn't give her up. Even if she left him he would always find her. And she couldn't risk Christine's and her husband's safety if they hid her. She had to decide quickly. It was either her freedom and happiness or Arthur's life. She knew that her plan was bad and immoral. But what else could she do? Erik was a man that never met a real love. His only experience was a platonic love for Christine that ended with her kissing his forehead. His lips never were kissed. She speculated if she showed him what is it like to be loved if he would help her to end Arthur. Even if it wasn't right. She wanted her life and freedom back. And was ready to fight for it.
   She checked the bathroom door if Arthur wasn't getting out soon. No...he was just taking a bath. Alright then...Now or never, Penelope thought before taking her coat and leaving the house. She knew where she was going.