Chapter 5: Erik

After a while she saw Erik's lake house. Did he really live in there almost his whole life? When they stepped inside she was even more amazed. It looked like an ordinary apartment of a gentleman. Only without natural light. All the light was caused by the candles. There was a harp just when they came in and a piano in the living room. Also a violin and a flute on the desk. ,,Any more instruments?" Penelope dared to joke a bit. ,,An organ" he said. ,,I used to play it in my room. Because it's the most tragic sounding musical instrument" Penelope looked around. ,,Can I see it?" Erik didn't seem to like that question but eventually led her to his bedroom. A long lash covered the place he used to sleep, so it probably wouldn't let the lights in and bother him while being asleep. He pointed in the corner. The beautiful pipe organ was perfectly carved from the soft wood and made by professional hands. ,,Is that all your work?" Penelope asked. ,,Yes" Erik admitted modestly. ,,I couldn't get it anywhere else. This is where I live" ,,I am used to be on the same place all the time as well" she sighed. ,,With my husband. He let's me only visit de Chagny's mansion" ,,But....a marriage is supposed to be from love" Erik felt very bad for her. ,,I was in love" she repeated once again. "The love for Arthur left me blind. I didn't see how manipulated I actually was" Penelope didn't believe that she really said that. She thought her diary would be the only one knowing about her unhappiness. Erik knew how it was like to be trapped and that's why it harm him even more to hear about that. ,,Christine said that you were blinded by love as well" ,,I was" he admitted. ,,While being in love with her. But our real relationship was purely platonic" Penelope smiled a bit. ,,I wouldn't expect it be anyhow else" ,,Christine was also in love with someone else. The boy...the one she later married. Raoul de Chagny" He wouldn't forget that name. ,,And I guess she's happy with him" ,,She is" Penelope nodded. ,,She really is. I would do anything to be as happy as her in my marriage" she sighed. ,,Don't be sad" Erik tried to comfort her. ,,He won't hurt you. I promise. I'll take a care of it. If he put a finger on you he'll regret that" he promised. Penelope looked at him surprised. Was he her potential saviour? Could he really help her out of these chains? She liked that idea but what would she do then? If Arthur would be attacked she would be all alone. Even though Christine promised her that she always has a room in her house. She would never do that. ,,Thank you, Erik" she said eventually. ,,Nothing happens yet. I think I'm safe" ,,Alright. Until you are in danger I will try not to care" Erik answered. Then he accompanied her out of the opera house. ,,He won't catch you here. He's still inside. You can go home" he said before he just waved at her when she was leaving.