Chapter 4

A/N: Geez, sorry this took forever for me to post. It's kinda short...and I was planning on writing more, but it just seemed like a natural stopping point for a chapter. It's not over yet, though! This is just an important part of the story told by fluff and angst, if that makes any sense. Anyway, enjoy! 😄

Oh! Wait! Some self-promoting first! 😁 I'd really appreciate it if you checked out my other story called "Pretty, Petty, Little MJ". There's some Spideychelle in there (the chapter titled "MCU"). Okay, NOW, enjoy!

Warning: Nothing really...

Disclaimer: I don't own anything.

Peter woke up with a buzz in the back of his skull. His eyes fluttered open and were met with cracked stone.

He'd seen that stone before. Moss clung to the crevices and divots. He sat up on the makeshift cot and groaned at the pain in his stomach. Oh, right, he got stabbed. He was still in his Spider-Man suit with his mask off, but there were a few layers of bandages taped securely against the wound.

There was barely any light, but he could still make out a few select objects as he scanned the room. There was a desk with an orange-glowing lamp. Behind it was a…torture rack? No, a pilates machine. Why did that sound so familiar?

"Where…?" Peter whispered to himself.

"The dungeon of a wizard. There's no real way to sugar coat that."

Oh, God.

"MJ!" he croaked out. How had he not noticed that she was sitting right next to him?! "H-hi! Did you, uh…do you remember?"

She took a deep breath and shook her head in disbelief. "I can't believe you didn't tell me. Did you not trust me? Is that it?" Her eyes began to get glossy, and Peter silently pleaded for her not to cry. If she cried then he would cry, and nobody wants that.

"No, no, no. That's not it at all. I just," he sighed and shut his eyes, "I saw you and Ned at the café, and you just looked so…happy. Without me. I-I couldn't tell you. You got hurt because of me. I've lost so many people, Em. I can't…I can't." He didn't want to finish that sentence. He didn't want to think about a world where MJ wasn't alive. He'd much rather have left her and never seen her again than know that he was responsible for her death.

"Wow, without me you've become a total drama queen. Nice." A sly smile played on her face and she rolled her eyes playfully. "I'm right here, okay? I'm never gonna leave you…because I'm secretly a ghost."

Peter leaned forward and gave her a peck on the forehead. She hadn't changed at all, and he was glad about that. "Wait, did you say 'a wizard's dungeon'?"

She nodded and stretched her arms upwards with a yawn.

"Like-like Doctor Strange?"

"Yeah…are there other wizards?" Her eyes widened for a moment and she seemed shook at the idea of more multiverse-altering beings.

"I mean, probably," Peter shrugged.

Michelle scoffed and folded her arms. She had never really been a fan of the "big three" (aliens, androids, and wizards).

"H-how did you get here? Weren't we in that alley, and then Doc Ock-"

"'Doc Ock'?" she seemed amused while waiting for Peter to comment, but he just stayed silent to let her explain. "Wow, okay, um, yes. When Doc Ock was turning you into a shish kebab, a portal -- ya know, like the kind Ned makes -- appeared behind him, and some guy, I think he said his name was Wong, told me to get in. And then he led me down here where you were, and- oh my God I haven't told Ned! Do you think I should tell Ned? I feel like he should know, but he'll probably freak out, and I don't even know how to tell him. Ugh, nevermind," she rapidly explained. Peter blinked and nodded slowly.

“That’s…yeah. I don’t know,” he mumbled.

Michelle sighed playfully. “Anyone ever told you you’ve got a real way with words? ‘Cause you do.”

Peter rolled his eyes dramatically and nodded. “You tell me all the time, Michelle." He said that name like it was the most ridiculous thing he could say. Like he didn't have to pretend they were complete strangers before Octavius showed up. Like he'd never had to call her that in her life because he'd known her so well forever. And, in a way, he had known her forever. After all, what's the difference between feeling like you have and it being true?