Chapter 5

Sitting with my back against a large rock, I watch the three outlaws in the firelight. We apparently still haven't reached the planned destination yet because Shane said we were just camping here for the night. Carlito and Ryder are still taking turns drinking from the bottle of whiskey that Carlito pulled out of his saddle bag an hour ago. Now it's nearly empty and both are loud and rowdy.

Hearing a growl of disgust come from Shane, my eyes quickly dart towards him. Sticking his cigar in his mouth, he slowly stands up and walks over to his drunk partners in crime. With a rough and fast move of his hand he grabs the bottle from them and throws it down on the ground, shattering it into a hundred pieces. Slurred yells of protest come from Carlito and Ryder but Shane just growls at them, "How many times have I told you to stay sober until we've gotten to the place we're going to hide out?"

"I don't know, amigo, but the whiskey warms my bones." Carlito's words slur horribly and even in the dark, I can see him swaying.

"That's what the fire's for," Shane replies, "now both of you start sleeping that booze off, we've got a long ride tomorrow."

Even though they're full grown men, they both obey him like children and are soon snoring loudly from their bedrolls. Throwing a few more pieces of wood onto the fire, Shane sits down on his bedroll and begins to finish his cigar. He notices me watching him, so I let my head bob forward like I'm beginning to fall asleep and lower my eyelids enough that it looks like my eyes are closed yet I can still be able to see.

Rubbing the butt of his cigar on the ground, he gives me one last look before laying down. He flops his hat over his eyes and soon snores drift loudly in and out of him. Seeing my chance to escape, I impatiently wait about half an hour or so to make sure all three of them are really asleep. Thankful that Ryder for some reason didn't think to tie my ankles, I slowly slide my back up the rock until I'm all the way on my feet. I hold still for a minute or two before tentatively taking a step to the side. Very quietly and slowly, I edge my way out of the camp, sure that the sound of my heart beating hard and fast in my chest is going to wake them up.

Once I'm about twenty feet away from the camp, I begin to walk a little faster. It has to be around midnight but thankfully it just happens to be a full moon tonight and there's also not a cloud in the sky. With the moon to light my way, I continue to walk in the direction we came. Realizing I'm far enough away now that they can't hear me anymore, I begin to sprint and then run.

I last about fifteen minutes at a dead run before I have to slow down. Walking fast, I keep moving; as soon as the pain in my side is gone I'll be able to run some more. I don't know where I got them from but I'm very thankful for my athletic abilities. Growing up, I could out run all the boys in my school, something that they hated, yet I'm glad I'm able to run hard for long distances without having to stop. Well, that is until I get a sharp pain in my side, then I have to slow down for a bit before going full speed again.

After running and walking for about an hour and a half, I come to the spot where Shane ripped off my locket. Even though I want to stop and look for it, I keep on pushing forward. Who knows how much time I have until they discover I'm gone so I have to cover as much ground as possible. Taking off at a run again, I push myself, knowing that if I get far enough ahead I might find Candy. Something inside of me knows that he's out there searching for me and now it's just up to me to get to him.

Before I know it the sun's beginning to come up and the camp is miles behind me. My feet hurt and I'm thirsty but I keep going. The farther I go the longer it'll take Shane to find me. I lift my tied hands and try to brush the stray hairs off my face; I feel the last of my pins slip out of my hair and my waist length braid tumbles down my back. At least it's stayed in its braid so it's contained and not flying everywhere since I can't pull it back up. Continuing to walk, I push my feet forward as my head begins to throb.

It takes about an hour but the sun comes out in full force. I want to take off my boots but I know I'll regret it later, so I just try to ignore the hot, aching feet inside of them as the sun begins to bake me. The world begins to blur and sway in front of me yet I keep going, but I know I won't last much longer.

I make it about a hundred feet before my knees buckle and I hit the dirt. I just lay there, trying to catch my breath and will the earth to stop spinning as my head continues to throb. Pressing my forehead into the dirt, I suddenly hear horses in the distance. I quickly look up and think what I see is a mirage but hearing more horses behind me, I realize it is real and not just me going out of my head. Looking behind me I see Shane, Carlito, and Ryder getting closer. I leap to my feet and head towards the other riders. As they see me, the three of them pick up speed, galloping towards me. I immediately recognize all three; it's Candy, Joe, and Pa.

I begin to run but a sharp pain cuts across my side causing me to lose my footing and I slam into the ground. Sobs begin to come out of my throat as I hear Shane and the others pull to a stop behind me. Glancing up, I still see Candy coming but as a hand grabs the braid going down my back, I know he's too late.