The Right Decision?

June 21st, 2017

Naoto was trained to detect if there was something off about a situation, and alarm bells were the only thing ringing ever since he walked into Takemichi's mother's house. There were pictures everywhere, of herself with many men, a different one in each. He couldn't deny that she was quite beautiful for the approximate age she'd have to be to have a son Takemichi's age, but the wrinkles in certain spots on her face were indicators of many years spent scowling.

"I've just boiled some tea, would you like some officer?" The older woman snaps his attention away from the pictures, he nods hastily as to not appear like he was just sticking his nose in her business.

"Ah yes Ma'am, and please, you can just call me Naoto."

"Well Naoto-kun, do you take any sugar?" Suddenly it didn't seem like a good idea to tell her that, he didn't like the way his name rolled off her tongue, it made his skin crawl.

"J-just one."

She soon gestured for him to take a seat at the dining table and she brought the two cups of tea with her, sitting across from him.

"So why exactly are you here? I'm not sure if you've noticed but me and my son have not spoken in a decade, the brat ran away when he was like 16, haven't seen him since," she muttered, bringing the cup to her thin lips.

Naoto was surprised by her abruptness, and the calling of her son, a brat. He remembered that Takemichi did 'move out' into a small apartment at only 16, he had said it was because he didn't like how empty his house was and decided it would be best to have a smaller space. Did he run away? Is there more to Takemichi's relationship with his mother?

"Um, well Sato-san, Takemichi is actually uh....he's unwell," that's an understatement, "And I thought it would be a nice surprise for him to see you on his birthday since it's been so long. I think he'd really like to see you."

"Hm, really?" She peered over at him, he felt tiny and pathetic under her gaze, was this a good idea? Should he continue with this? "I'd love to see my darling son again, it's been so long."

His eyes widened, he honestly didn't think she'd agree, "Oh! Well, do you mind if I have your number so I can inform you of the details for his birthday? It's ah, it's a surprise party so..."

"Sure, I can't wait to see him again," he nodded and handed her his phone, but her smile left him with an unsettled feeling in his stomach.

.

Ran wasn't the best person. He did genuinely enjoy hurting others, especially with Rindou by his side, it made him feel powerful. Sure, he had lessened and controlled those tendencies since his teen years, but that didn't suddenly make him a good person. He was a model, both he and his brother had the looks and confidence for it, and it provided them with heavy wallets, but he didn't really enjoy it. Strut the runway, look hot, get paid. Get starved, be blinded by lights, get shamed, but he got paid. It just wasn't fun anymore, and that is why both he and Rindou decided to go on a hiatus, they had actually accidentally stumbled upon Takemichi's bakery, it was a surprise to see the now raven working the counter. He never knew too much about Takemichi personally, he knew what he saw from fights, he was stubborn, a shitty fighter, hella inspirational and goddamn unhinged, he was intriguing. But after Toman was all in highschool, they decided to disband and focus on studies, so he never really heard of him again. There had been a few instances at the end of highschool and start of university when they had seen a glimpse of him partying with his friends in one of the clubs they owned in Roppongi, but nothing more. It had been nice to see him properly again in the bakery that one morning, he was still as stubborn as ever, offering one free item to every new customer the first time they came in and Ran had refused and said he would pay for it. Takemichi had aggressively shoved in two free cookies while smiling innocently at him. He was just as intriguing as he was when he was a teenager, and since both he and Rindou had nothing to do, they would come in most mornings and buy an unnecessary amount and watch as Takemichi would twitch and try to contain himself from scolding them due to respect. And when they saw that he was looking for some employees a few months later, they jumped at the chance.

Working with Takemichi was fun, it was soothing to constantly be surrounded by delicious treats and sometimes get to watch how calm Takemichi looks when he bakes. He cared for Takemichi, he considered him a friend, yes the fact that he was cute added to that but it wasn't the priority. He was genuinely concerned about his boss' health, as much as he tried, he was often unsuccessful in getting Takemichi to take breaks and eat consistently. Takemichi was constantly yawning and whenever he'd take a drink of water, no matter how discreet he tried to be, Ran would see the pills that were swallowed with it. Now Ran did not by any means think that his boss was a drug user, he assumed they were medical, but if they were medical, why does Takemichi never look any better?

"Ran-kun, you've added 17 sugars to that cup of coffee, either you're in your own world or you should be checked for diabetes," Takemichi said, snapping him out of his thoughts.

He looked down at the cup which was filled with sugar and glanced sheepishly at his boss, "Ah sorry Takemichi, I wasn't concentrating."

"It's alright, we all have those days. Do you want to go on your break now?"

"No I'm right, I can wait another hour. But you can go on yours if you'd like?"

Takemichi sighed before nodding, which surprised Ran, "You know what, yeah, I could use a break. Let me know if anything happens, I'll just be in my office. Just make sure to check on the croissants in the oven in twenty minutes."

"You got it."

"Oh and Ran-kun? Don't you dare drink that coffee, I'd rather not have to try and start your heart again."

Ran rubbed the back of his neck, "Whaaat, I had no intention of doing that."

Takemichi rolled his eyes before snatching the cup and pouring the drink down the sink and washing the drain out before walking off to his office. 

.

Next chapter will be out tomorrow, I was originally gonna have it apart of this chapter but it was too long for my liking. How will Shin approach Michi?

Todays question, for those in school, what do you want to do when your older? And those who are in professions, what do you do? I'd love to know what kind of people read my work.

Personally, I'm in year 11 and I want to be a clinical psychologist...or a stripper....or dead...or a sugar baby to a really rich pretty woman.