Impasse

TWs; mentions of terrorist activity, threats of harm/death, mild gore, death.

You needed a plan. 

The problem was you didn't even know where to start. Sneaking away from a heavily guarded compound in the middle of nowhere wasn't exactly a skill you had practiced. In fact as close as you'd ever come was begging for Vicrul's help to escape a few months before when Kylo first brought you here, and it wasn't like you'd had an escape route. You'd been riding on a hope and a prayer that Vicrul would be able to handle the logistics because realistically all you knew was what Kylo had told you and the few things you'd observed outside. 

But this wasn't just a matter of getting back to your life anymore. Everyone you loved was in danger, and if you didn't follow the demands of the woman you'd spoken to that you knew was involved in Spearhead - the same deadly organization that had cost hundreds of people their lives and freedom that Kylo had been hunting down person by person in vengeance for his son - it was going to result in a bloodbath. You had no reason to think the woman's threats wouldn't be backed up. It's not as if they were squeamish about slaughtering the innocent. Why should they be? It didn't sound as though there had been any legal progress made against them. In fact, were it not for Kylo and the knights you doubted they would have seen any justice at all. 

Which only made what you had to do now that much more difficult. You not only had a terrorist organization to contend with, but Kylo, too.

The woman's instructions had been clear. You couldn't tell Kylo. You couldn't risk it. You had no idea how she'd managed to contact you through Kylo's computer. Even if you decided to risk telling Kylo the truth and hoping that he wouldn't just put you on lock down to keep you safe and disregard anyone who might die as a result of your lack of cooperation, you had no guarantee she wouldn't find out. Maybe the house was bugged. Maybe the cameras you knew were posted around the property had been hacked. 

It didn't really matter. All that mattered now was getting home. No big deal, right? Just sneaking away from seven lethal assassins when you didn't even know where you were and the only means of transportation you'd ever seen was a helicopter you had no idea how to fly. 

**************

You'd paced Kylo's office for several minutes, your mind spinning trying to come up with some sort of plan. It didn't look good any way you approached it. No matter what choice you made someone could end up paying for it with their lives. You family. Friends. The knights. Kylo. As angry as you wanted to be with him for taking your choices away from you, you knew his only motivation was to keep you safe. Just as you were doing now, he'd looked at his priorities and did what he thought was best. Now you had to do the same. 

After a few more minutes of considering your options, the thought occurred to you that it seemed unlikely that Kylo and the knights would leave themselves with only one means of escape. They had back up plans for their back up plans. If something were to happen to the helicopter they'd all be screwed. Maybe they were willing to take that risk, but you had to know for sure. Your chances of escaping in anything else but a helicopter had to be better. 

Sucking in a steadying breath, you made your way to the door, opening it softly. When you'd come back upstairs enough of the knights had still been in the living room you wouldn't be able to easily get outside without their notice. But a quick glance over the railing as you padded quietly towards the steps told you they'd cleared out. 

Without knowing where they were you took care to be as quiet as possible coming down the steps, not wanting to alert Kylo or Ap'lek in the basement either. When you reached the landing you glanced in all directions, still finding yourself alone and no sign of any of them out of the windows. It wasn't a guarantee, but you didn't have time to try and wait for a better opportunity.