Deserving

Sorry I'm switching to the present tense. So, if that annoys you – eek.

Freia blinks, trying to remove the sleep from her eyes. Her head is throbbing, dizzyingly, and half her face feels numb.

"Fuck," she whispers, opening her eyes and attempting to force her aching muscles sit up. She struggles for a moment before collapsing back.

A glance around reveals she's in the Hospital Wing. And when she remembers why, she groans. Had they won? What day was it? Where was everyone?

"Madam Pomfrey?" She croaks as loudly as she can, her voice ruff from misuse.

There's a shuffling and then the curtains around her bed are pulled back.

"You're awake. Wonderful," Pomfrey says, busying herself with spells as Freia lies in bafflement.

"What happened?" She asks, a little timidly.

"Quidditch accident. You've been asleep for a day and will have to stay a couple more if that's alright," Pomfrey says efficiently.

Freia stammers, anxiousness causing her heart to thrum. "I've got work."

"I'm sure Laura wouldn't mind bringing a book when she's visiting."

"One?"

"Yes, one. One at a time. I'm not having you turning this place into a library, Freia, I know what you're like. Plus, it's a head injury, it'll do you good not to do any work for a few days."

Freia tries not to panic. She can't fall behind on work – she'll never catch up, even missing a day or two would be irrevocable.

"But Madame – "

"That's all I have to say on the matter."

***

It's two days later, and Freia is decidedly not okay. She's done nothing but read from her schoolbooks – no essay writing, no note taking, no homework. Essentially, she decides, she' screwed.

"Fuck," she whispers, the beading sunlight just bright enough to shine through the window and illuminate the massive astrology book open on her lap.

No one's told her how much work she's missed but she knows it must be a dizzying amount.

"Fuck," she repeats. She's read the same page over and over yet remembers none of it. It feels pointless trying when she can't take notes or create flashcards or underline.

She picks up the letter she's been keeping between the books pages as a bookmark since she'd received it. It was from her mother, who'd heard the news of the accident and wasn't impressed.

Dear Freia,

I'm sorry to hear you are unwell and please let me know how the recovery goes.

However, I'd like it to be known that I've said many times Quidditch would distract you from your studies; you should have dropped it years ago. It seems I was right. Due to your injuries you're going to fall behind, and, unlike other years, we don't have the opportunity to catch you up with tutors over the Summer before NEWTs. It's time to stop wasting time and do your work, Freia – the ministry is competitive and you're not going to do well in your placements otherwise.

Sophia has just had a promotion in the Control of Magical Creatures Department, an enviable position which will set her up well for her next step. In addition, she's been growing rather close to Mitchell Wellers who's a member of her department, could you let me know if she mentions him to you – I think they'd be a perfect couple.