Challenge 14 - Breadcrumbs

"Hi Bob, you look like shit. What happened?"
"Jeez, I'm not sure. I need that beer before I start shaking again. I might have to see a doc or something."
"A doc? You mean a shrink?"
"Don't mean anything. Judge by yourself. Today while walking down the Main Street my phone starts ringing. Unknown number. I pick it up, right in front of this here pub. There's this strangled voice whispering 'follow me'. I check the road but no one is looking at me or holding a phone or whatever. So I put mine away and resume walking. Some steps further I hear another phone buzzing. Sure isn't my ringtone. I look around and see this brand new cellphone lying on a windowsill. I pick it up. The same voice as before says 'not this way. Turn back'. This is starting to feel creepy. I put the cell down and continue walking. Only some steps away, there cackles a pink baby phone on a park bench. This time I turn around. But as soon as I get down to the corner, you know where the old broken pay phone still hangs, it starts ringing. I swear, I've never run faster in my life. I turn a corner and another one and some five phone calls later I end up right in front of the cemetery. In the meantime I'm exhausted and glad I can't hear any more phones. I walk down the pathway that leads to the chapel when I see it. Tom, I swear, that was one hell of a spaceship! - Hey, don't give me that! I know it sounds crazy but this honestly is my first beer today. And it neither helps to forget nor to remember what exactly it was they wanted or took from me."

Behind the one-way-mirror two grey skinned observers exchange worried looks.
"How much of the drug did you give to this specimen?"
"He was persistent. We had to triple the dose. He should have forgotten by now. This is a first."
"A dangerous first. They will get immune and push us to move on, like before. He can't be allowed to remember."
"I know. But we are getting so close. This one is really promising."
"Maybe. But I will not take the risk. Eliminate."