chapter four

chapter  four
━━ library

     "Wouldn't you rather me stay here, you know, keep an eye just in case anyone is snooping around for the VK's?" Eloise asked as she began to spread herself across Jay's bed

"Wouldn't you rather me stay here, you know, keep an eye just in case anyone is snooping around for the VK's?" Eloise asked as she began to spread herself across Jay's bed. Truth was, she didn't want to be part of stealing the wand — if anything, it was the opposite of what she wanted to do. "El has a choice," Jay announced as he pointed to her.

But, he knew. He knew the real reason she didn't want to join their midnight thieving, and he accepted it because it was her. Eloise let out a small smile, Carlos admiring the small freckles on the tip of her nose and the fullness of her cheeks, making her look so pure. "If you want to stay, El, why didn't you just say so?" Evie asked, rubbing her hands together before Mal scoffed.

"Come on, El, don't tell us you're turning even more soft than you are originally. It's exhausting," Mal admitted as she studied Eloise. Eloise brought her hands together and sat upright on the bed, "I don't want to steal the wand, Mal." Mal nodded her head before giving a disappointed chuckle. "When we go home, don't tell our parents you had credit," Mal replied before Eloise sighed in agreement.

"Stay here. Don't move," Jay instructed Eloise — like she was some dog. "Typical words you say to a dog, huh, Jay?" Eloise asked before Carlos shivered in his feet at the sound of the word 'dog.' Jay and Eloise laughed before high-fiving one another.

     "See you later on in the night, El," Evie said before the four of them bid their goodbyes and left the room in a quiet rush. Eloise laid back down on the bed, glaring over at the time. She had one hour before the closing of the library.

     She jumped up on her bare feet, tip-toeing her way towards the library before entering with an exaggerated gasp. Her eyes lit up as she saw the thousands of books surrounding her, all in piles on the wall; alphabetically. Eloise gasped as she ran towards the letter T, as much as she hated her mother's actions and the cruelty towards sweet Rapunzel, Tangled was one of her favorites.

But now, she'd get to read the story for now it was truthfully.

Eloise settled down on the couch, flicking on the light to brighten the dark place. She felt a small drift of warmth cover her body before she read the first words 'Once Upon A Time', a smile lifted on her rosy lips. This was her peace, right here; sticking her nose deep into a book as she cuddled herself on the couch.

When reading across a sudden chorus in a song, Eloise furrowed her brows as she read the lyrics. Flower, gleam and glow. . . She hummed the tune in her mind, thinking of how it reminded her so much of when Mother hummed the exact tune at home. "Flower, gleam and glow. Let your power shine, make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine," Eloise sang.

To her surprise, she gasped as her blonde locks began to glow a golden color. Her hands immediately reached for her long locks, bringing them in front of her face as they soon dialed down back to her original blonde color. "What?" Asked Eloise to nobody in particular. She quickly grabbed the book, stuffing it within a small carry purse she brought with her — a brown, leather one.

     She rushed from the library, her heart beating a million times over and over again. That was until she felt her body crash into a sharper one, wincing and grabbing her head, Eloise looked up to spot a worried expression falling from the face of no other than Ben.

     Eloise innocently smiled, hiding the bag behind her back before removing her hand from her head. "S—sorry, I didn't see you coming, I wasn't really paying attent—" Ben stopped talking when he noticed a book on the floor, Eloise rolled her eyes at her stupidity for not securing the book in her bag before he bent down to pick it up.

Their fingers grazed, Eloise smiled slightly before taking the book, "Thank you. . ." She ushered out before Ben nodded his head. "Tangled, huh? Is it a favorite of yours?" Ben asked, leaning back against a wall of lockers.

"Sure. Well, I mean, in the Isle, we don't really have books that are the true story. They paint the villains as the good guys, and I wanted to read the real thing," Eloise rambled on, but however, Ben allowed her to do so. Which was a first for Eloise. "Really? I never knew that" Ben sympathized before he cleared his throat after looking down at the girl.

"Rapunzel seemed so sweet in all of the stories. I, um, don't know why my Mother did all of that to her," Eloise faltered her speech for a moment. Being from the Isle of the Lost, it was cursed to praise the 'good guys' within the stories, and it was loved to praise the 'villains.' Which was obvious. Eloise never felt truly at home on the Isle of the Lost, and being here in Auradon allowed Eloise to be the self she always thought to be.

     "She is sweet. Do you like baking, art, and candle-making? Any of these ring a bell," Ben asked as he listed the activities on his fingers.

     "I suppose art," Eloise answered with a smile as she fixed the bag on her shoulders, placing the book inside.

     Ben smiled at her; at her innocence. "Really? Rapunzel runs an art class, and baking class, and a candle-making class. I'll take you to one, if you'd like," Ben suggested, Eloise, nodded her head and chuckled into the darkness of the corridor the two were standing in. "Wait, Rapunzel runs the art class?" Eloise asked with emphasis before she shuddered slightly.

     "Yeah. . ." Ben replies.

     "I can't. She hates me," Eloise stated.

     Ben chuckled, "Come on. She's never even met you! Besides, Rapunzel isn't one to judge quick." Eloise nodded her head before taking a few steps forwards, telling Ben she wanted to go back to the dorms.

     "Oh, wait, I'll walk you," Suggested Ben, making closer to the girl. Eloise cleared her throat before moving a blonde lock of fringe out of her eyes, "Sure," Simply replied Eloise, feeling his presence beside her as they continued to talk about the book.

     Eloise wanted to bring up the whole hair glowing business, but she blamed it on the candle that was lighting the area — if there even was a candle.