chapter ten

chapter    ten
━━ parents

       All that was in her mind was the date: her first date, the first time feeling something besides burden, her first kiss

       All that was in her mind was the date: her first date, the first time feeling something besides burden, her first kiss. Eloise couldn't feel anything but happy to have experienced her first date, and with Ben, with someone she trusts. However, the problem that was overlapping her happy thoughts was the issue of it all being fake — Ben's mind was poisoned with a love potion, and Eloise knew everything was a lie.

During the class, Eloise settled into the comfort of Jay's arms as she felt pure sadness from the date, knowing none of it was real. Jay kept an eye on Eloise, knowing how she was feeling about the situation as a whole and how she didn't want to contribute to it in the first place but she had no other choice.

       "Children, excuse me, um. . . As you know, this Sunday is Family Day here at Aurdon Prep. And because your parents can't be here due to distance, we've arranged for a special treat," Fairy Godmother started to explain before running back over towards the laptop, Eloise lifted her head from Jay's shoulder as Carlos turned around to them with a smile.

      That was when their parents showed up on the screen. Eloise sighed, situating her blonde locks in front of her shoulders to prove something to Mother Gothel — Mother had an obsession with Eloise's locks, an obsession Eloise didn't quite understand. They all stood and made their way towards the front of the classroom, watching as their parents moved in distress at the newfound technology.

      "Evie, it's mommy! Look how beautiful," Evil Queen said before Evie waved at her mom through the screen, "You know what they say; the poison apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"Don't you mean the weeds?" Maleficent asked before Evil Queen rolled her eyes at the sly comment back. Eloise wasn't caring to look at any other parent, her eyes were only following the actions of her Mother. She was almost scared to receive any response to her appearance, or recent actions.

"Who's the old bat?" Cruella asked as she spotted Fairy Godmother standing between their children, her smile as large as ever. That was when an argument broke out between the Villain's Parents and Fairy Godmother, Eloise felt ashamed of the comments of all of their parents towards the sweet Fairy Godmother and her magic towards Cinderella.

       "Hi, mom. . ." Mal introduced to her mom as Fairy Godmother was shoved out of the way. "Mal! I miss you," Maleficent said with the stutter of her words, Eloise scrunching her nose slightly at the tremble in her voice. "You children are never far from our thoughts," Jafar responded, Jay, pursing his lips together in reply. They didn't mean it, they didn't mean anything. "And their hair!" Mother Gothel replied, Eloise absentmindedly grabbing the tips of her golden locks.

       "Yes, yes! How long must Mommy wait to see you?" Maleficent asked.

       "There's a big coronation coming up. I think, probably, sometime after that. Friday,  Ten AM," Mal said.

"You sure I can't see you before that? I don't know what I'll do if I don't get my hands on that magic— you, you little nugget that I love so much," Throughout the conversation, Eloise noticed something about Mother. It was something unusual, something with the way she looked: her face was full of wrinkles, her skin was droopy and her hair had flecks of grey within it. Eloise turned to her mom after everyone was done, "Mother, are you okay?"

       Mother Gothel removed herself from the back and come to face the camera, the five of them gasping as she did. "No, I'm not okay, Eloise. I need your magic ha— I mean, I need some sleep after all those nights of missing you," Mother said before Eloise looked down at the floor. Ha, what was Mother going to say? Eloise pondered on the answer to that question, cutting herself off when their parents began to snakily argue with one another before Jay turned off the laptop.

       "I'm so sorry. . ." Fairy Godmother began to say.

       "Thanks for the special gift," Jay told her in response.

Jay grabbed Eloise's bag, handing it to the girl before grabbing her shoulders enthusiastically to cheer her up. If the date with Ben didn't sadden her enough, that definitely did. Mother didn't want Eloise, she didn't just want to see her daughter, she wanted her hair. From everything, her hair.

Eloise still didn't understand. What was so different about her hair? There was nothing special about it.