Imaginary Friends

Vin stumbled to their feet, the floor boards underneath creaked as if they felt their trainers digging into the wood it was make of. Their shoulders pulled them selfs forwards, their elbows on the opposing hands, their fingers holding their sides, running up and down their ribs. There was no noise. No cars. No children's giggles. Nothing. They listened for a creak, a gasp, a yell, a chuckle, a weep, a cry.

Silence.

They shuffled towards the door, gracing a ragged green carpet with a few steps before clutching the door handle and opening it. The wind swept in, whistling it's song against their skin to make them shiver and wrap their arms tighter around themselves, having themselves in a tight lock with no key. They listened to a few moments, standing, staring, waiting. Not even their own heart beat was heard.

No theirs either.

"Vin." A voice called. It echoed down the hallway, bouncing off the white walls and trying to tug at it's paint, where most of it had already been pulled of, revealing yellow plaster boards with holes to mice's homes. Soft footsteps came towards the door, the air became thick and warm. A nice feeling in the air. The silence was filled with gentle hummings over their name, along with small breaths. The footsteps got closer. Vin held themselves tighter, ready to block a hand from their face or a shoe. They slowly closed their eyes, their shoulders rasing and their head sinking down for their chin to touch their chest.  But there was nothing. Nothing to block. Nothing to react to. Nothing to worry about. They slowly opened their eyes to see someone. A figure, staring at them. Or was it? 

Lila!

Their 'imaginary friend'. Lila had been in the house for ages. Longer then they had. She had long, dark hair that covered her eyes and nose, her lips usually curled into a frown, but every so often, a smile would crack her extremely pale skin, like a stick in the snow. A nice, long, white 'shirt' covered her torso, some nice, white shorts to go with it. She usually had her head down, staring at the floorboards, as if they facinated her needs and calmed her. She had a nice feeling to her, always being polite, always being friendly, always managing to smile. A serio-tipical ghost-looking girl! They drew her on a wall once. That's why Vin's parents hate her.

"Hello, Vin." Her lips seperated themselves after a moment's silence.

"Hello!" They chimmed back, "How are you?"

"Good, how are you?"

"Not to bad myself!"

"Vin, I know you are upset. You are hugging yourself." Lila furrowed a brow, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

. . .

"Were they fighting again?"