010

010

AFTER IVY WOKE up from her dream of percy and mystery girl in paradise island, she stayed up the entire night replaying it over and over again. over analyzing every detail to try and find some clue to where he was and how to find him. but at the end, ivy had gotten to a hurtful conclusion.

it didn't matter.

it didn't matter because he was fine and perfectly healthy, so if he wasn't coming back it was simply because he didn't want to. he didn't want to come back home, to his mom, friends, and to the people who cared for him enough to be distraught at the thought of him dead. but he seemed perfectly content living his stupid blue lagoon dream with the first girl he came across.

as he gave up on them, ivy gave up on him.

either way, to save everyone the disappointment of knowing their almighty hero son of poseidon abandoned them, ivy didn't tell anyone about her dream. absolutely no one. not even annabeth—and that's saying something. but it was better that way. it's easier to believe someone dead than somewhere else happy while you're suffering on the brink of war. she prefered it to be the only one living with that hollowness in her stomach. especially since she had a feeling of where he was, but ivy chose to not look into it for her own peace of mind.

and just like that, another week went by.

since two weeks have passed since the explosion, chiron couldn't excuse percy's absence as anything other than death. that afternoon, his shroud was set to burn in his memory. ivy had been offered to design it, being that she was the closest to percy, but she didn't have the heart to design a shroud for someone who's very much not dead. so she passed that task to annabeth, excusing herself for it being "too hard for her."

bullshit.

if she ever saw percy again she was going to gut him. like a fish.

still, the seashell necklace remained on her neck. no matter how many times she has looked at herself in the mirror, willing herself to resent him enough to pull it out without remorse. she just couldn't do it. so now, his engraved initials burned on her throat.

but instead she found herself in the archery range, focusing on making bullseyes so she wouldn't accidentally let everything spill in a burst of anger or sadness. she wasn't sure which one could happen first.

"well, hello ivy dear," the playful voice of travis reached her ears as he neared her. "damn, i would hate to be that target."

snapping out of her thoughts, ivy noticed the target she has been shooting for who knows how long. a plethora—more that she could count—arrows were sticking out of the same spot at the center of the target. it made her purse her lips, she could do better, if they weren't off center they would go through other arrows.

"hi, travis," ivy replied, smiling lightly at him as she turned kapsoura back to its keychain form. she noticed the sun sinking in, her stomach lurched. "could you tell me what time it is? i don't know how long i've been practicing," she managed to muster a chuckle.

the son of hermes lifted his left wrist, showing off a rolex that he definitely stole. "it's 4:30," he replied. "so, uh—an hour until..."

he didn't finish his sentence, and he didn't need to. an hour until the funeral, he meant to say. an hour until she burned the memory of percy. because he wasn't dead, and there was nothing more that she wanted to do than forget about him. it seemed an easy thing to do, according to percy on his little island of course.