012

❛012❜

"THIS WAY!" RACHEL yelled.

"why should we follow you?" annabeth demanded. "you led us straight into that death trap!"

"it was the way you needed to go," rachel said. "and so is this. come on!"

ivy felt as happy as annabeth looked—which was not happy at all—but they ran along with the rest, ethan being pulled by the brunette. rachel seemed to know exactly where she was going. she whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at crossroads. once she said, "duck!" and they all crouched as a huge axe swung over their heads. then they kept going as if nothing had happened.

she lost track of how many turns they made. they didn't stop to rest until they came to a room the size of a gymnasium with old marble columns holding up the roof. somewhere along the way, they lost luke and his minions in the maze.

while trying to catch her breath, ivy noticed percy scowling her way. her eyebrows furrowed in confusion until she realized ethan's hand was still in hers. fucking ethan. ignoring percy, ivy turned to the older boy, taking her hand away.

ethan pulled off his helmet. his face gleamed with sweat. "you peop—"

ivy punched him in the arm. hard. "you asshole! we've been worried sick about you!"

"there was nothing to be worried about," ethan argued angrily.

from behind her, percy piped up in confusion, "how do you two know each other again?"

the daughter of aphrodite continued to ignore percy. "you left, ethan. nobody knew where you were, or what you were doing. how can you say there was nothing to be worried about?"

"nobody knew any of those things because i didn't want anyone following me!"

"hello?" percy sounded annoyed. "am i ever getting an answer?"

ivy heard a soft smack behind her, her eyes still set on ethan. then annabeth hissed, "he used to be in the hermes cabin, undetermined."

"and he's tobias best friend. or was," gabriel whispered.

"didn't want anyone following you?" ivy asked the older boy, her anger growing. she had seen tobias spend countless nights losing sleep for ethan. now, after seeing what he had been up to, all the praying and hoping didn't seem worthy. "you mean, you didn't want tobie knowing where the hell you were because you knew he would follow, no matter what fucked up shit you got involved in. tell me, ethan, was joining the wrong side something your oh so noble heart didn't want for tobias? or did you just think he was baggage to your journey to self discovery as a bad fucking person?"

he brushed aside the insult to his character. ethan sneered, getting on her face. "there's no right side. the gods never cared about us. why shouldn't i—"

ivy squared her shoulder, eyes hardening at ethan's close proximity. "signed up with the goons who want to see you fight for your life as a source of entertainment?" her voice rose with each word. "did they take your eye, too? please, tell me they used to feed their dogs and how that makes them all almighty!"

the two were basically breathing in each other's faces. both red in the face and shaking in anger. ethan's face twisted at her words, and was about to reply something ugly until the remaining three demigods interrupted.