Chapter XLIX: Ironman 3

Kendra laid in Steve's arms. They had stayed in bed all morning, only moving to reenact their early morning exercise. Kendra had to get up though. She had some things to finish up before the end of day. A burning sensation ran through her causing her to sit up abruptly. Steve snapped his eyes open to see her looking around, her eyes flicking around quickly.

"Kendra?" He whispered in worry. Kendra ignored him though as she watched the vision play out in front of her. Before she moved to get out of bed.

"I have to go. Tony needs help." She told him, causing Steve to sigh. He knew if he had the visions, he would get up and help people as well. It'd be near impossible not to. It was something he admire about Kendra.

"Can I help? You're still injured." Steve pointed out as Kendra grabbed some clothes to change into. Her slight limp not going unnoticed by him.

"No, I told him I'd be watching out for him, I can handle this myself." She told him, freezing as Steve appeared behind her with his arms wrapping around her waist.

"Kendra.." He whispered as his nose rubbed against the column of her throat, causing her to tilt her head slightly. "Please let me help you." He whispered before pressing an open mouth kiss to her collarbone.

"Steve, I can handle this. I promise." Kendra told him before turning in his arms. She leaned up, pressing her lips to his in a chaste kiss. "I'll be okay." Steve sighed as he rested his head against her head. He pulled away so she could get dressed, getting dressed as well. "Will you stay here while I'm gone? Or.."

"I'm going to the gym, maybe check in on Bucky's mission. Nat took the twins to Fury. I think I'll be helping them train.." Steve explained as he turned back towards Kendra. A small black box in her hand while her walk stick was in the other. "Stopping to drop that off?"

"Yeah- we're ahead of schedule.. but I'm worried that might just speed others up as well." Kendra told him. Steve furrowed his eyebrows. "I feel that speeding these things up- I've come in contact with two stones now... By now you guys wouldn't even have one.. What if this is bringing the titan here quicker? What if I'm doing all of those only to-" Steve came up Kendra, pulling her to him.

"You aren't doing this for nothing. You've seen the outcomes. You know this is helping." Steve tried to soothe her.

"But thats the thing. I'm not seeing it as much now. Somethings different." Steve looked at her strangely.

"Could it be because you can't see yourself?" He asked, his hand moving up to caress her cheek softly.

"I-I don't know. But I need to go, or I'll be late." Kendra told him, leaning up and pressing a kiss to his lips. Steve let out a sigh, kissing her back before backing away slightly.

"Fine. But I'm not happy about it." Steve whined, causing Kendra to laugh out.

"I'm sure you won't be."

-

Kendra walked through a portal into the lab. Bruce was currently working on a side project with Tony, since he was waiting for the stone. When he saw Kendra walk in, he backed away from his computer and smiled towards her.

"Kendra, what a surprise." Bruce greeted as he walked over to the woman. Kendra smiled back at him as she held up a box.

"Hello, Bruce. I've brought the stone. But I cannot stay long." She told him as she placed the box on the metal table next to her. Bruce walked over to look at the box.

"That's it? Thought it would be-"

"More glamorous?" Kendra finished for him with a laugh. "It can't stand out too much, otherwise everyone would know about it."

"And what did you say this one can do?" Bruce asked as he picked the box up and examined the stone inside.

"Control minds, essentially." Kendra told him simply. Bruce raised his eyebrows at her at how nonchalant she was about it. "This is the only stone that will survive, so make sure you make it hidden on the Vision." Bruce looked at her confused.

"Wait- you're destroying the others??" He asked shocked. Kendra nodded.

"It's the only way I can think of to stop Thanos." She told him. "The Infinity Stones are not safe anywhere."

"And we can't find a way to use them against him? Maybe erase him before he does us?" Bruce offered. Kendra shook her head.

"If we do that, it'd be following the future that has already happened. I'm not allowing anyone to die. Not anyone who shouldn't have to." Kendra told him sternly. Bruce could see that she was serious. He wondered who did die. Would he? No, that's impossible. "Anyway, I need to go assist Anthony. He seems to be in a rather serious predicament." Bruce sighed. He had noticed that Tony had gone MIA for a while, but just thought he had gone on another random vacation to Maui or something.

"Of course. Be safe." He told her with the tone you would expect to hear from a father. Kendra smiled at him.

"You as well. Don't do anything stupid." She told him, a smirk stretching across her lips as she raised her hand to her head. "I will know." With that she opened a portal and stepped through it, before it snapped shut.

-

Kendra appeared in a secret lab that seemed to be in a basement. She knew Pepper was here being used as bait for Tony.

"Wh-who are you?" She heard, snapping her head up to the voice.

"Kendra Fennick, rescue team." Kendra told her with a simple smile before she made her way to her. "Now if you could tell me where I can unhook you-" Pepper looked at the woman as she stepped towards her, telling her where the snaps were. She had heard about her from Tony. She just never thought she would get the chance to meet the spunky blind woman who put her boss in his place. Kendra got her unhooked, helping her to stand up.

"You shouldn't touch me- it burns." Kendra shook her head at her.

"I'm immune to most things, darlin'." Kendra told her with a smirk before listening carefully. She could hear someone coming. "Quick- through this portal. I'll be right behind you in a moment." She told her as she used her hands to open a portal, shoving Pepper through quickly before it shut and a man stepped out.

"Well this isn't what I thought I would see. Where did you hide my test subject?" The man asked as he stepped closer to Kendra.

"Test Subject? I'm sorry, sir. I can't see anything- I couldn't know of any test subject. I don't even know how I got here." Kendra spoke with a thick accent, pulling off the clueless victim act perfectly. The man smirked as he went to grab her only for her lift her walking stick quickly, making it seem like an accident as it hit under his chin. He gasped out, coughing as he tried to rub the pain gone. But Kendra left him with little time before she turned around, her walking stick wacking him in the head. "I must be going." She told him before pulling a gun from her jeans, pointing it towards him.

"I don't think so." He gritted out as he tackled her, causing the gun to go off. Thankfully, he was an idiot and the bullet went through his chest. Kendra shoved him off of her before grabbing her walking stick and opening a portal. Blood staining her face and shirt as she walked through a portal to where she sent Pepper.