Chapter Thirty-One

Everyday at 6p.m. Michael left his office to go on patrol. As Chief-of-Police, that wasn't part of his duties but he preferred it to sitting in his office staring at the clock, hoping Kelsey would show up for training and wishing he had the courage to call her and talk to her.

Two weeks had passed since the funeral and she still hadn't come to work and even though his mind was convinced she wouldn't come back, his heart couldn't help hoping. After all, he'd only stopped her from working on his case but that didn't mean she had to stop working completely, right?

As that thought ran through his mind, this time he took a route that led to the outskirts of town, closer to residential areas. It was relatively quiet there and made it easier to think.

They still hadn't found Daniel and he had no luck with any leads from Amanda's case. Earlier that day, he'd asked Nathan to help him with the digital vault Pam had partially cracked before her death, hoping there would be conclusive proof to show who killed Amanda and took Lydia and her son.

While on patrol, the low buzz of the police scanner filled his car but he usually ignored it and let patrol units on duty take the calls. But this time he heard a familiar voice and turned the volume up, holding his breath.

"Any units near Bradfield, we have a possible hostage situation in progress at number 427. I need some units there ASAP."

It was Kelsey! He hadn't heard her voice in two weeks but he was sure it was her and his heart stuttered. And, as if it was fate, he was close to the area she'd mentioned.

He waited a beat as other units responded, but none of them were as close as him. Once he responded, would she know it was him? She knew his unit number from the last call he'd responded to while she was on duty but would she remember?

"Dispatch, this is 201. I'm 2 minutes out. Show me going," he said, speeding up as he spoke.

A short pause followed on the other end before Kelsey finally said, "Copy that, 201. 225 and 237 are en route as backup. I have a Luther Mills on the other line, 14 years old, lives with his mum and younger sister, Katy, aged 5. He's the one who called it in. Seems his father, Andy Mills, is the perp. According to records, he was arrested for domestic abuse and released on parole a few weeks ago. He's in violation of the protection order against him and Luther says the suspect is armed so proceed with caution. Do not engage until backup arrives. Is that clear 201?"

"Got it," Michael said. He turned off his siren and lights as he got closer to the house. Andy was likely to panic at the presence of the police and do something drastic, so he figured a stealth approach would be safer.

"225 and 237, approach with lights and sirens off," Michael called out over the radio as he took out his gun and some extra ammunition. "I'm on location and doing a perimeter check to assess the situation."

"No! 201, stay in your vehicle and wait for backup. It's too dangerous," Kelsey said in a panicked voice.

"I have to go in. We need to know what's going on in there so we can make an action plan accordingly," Michael argued stepping out of the car with his mobile radio in one hand and his gun in the other. He closed the door as quietly as possible and approached the house.

"Michael?" Kelsey said over the radio. He stopped, surprised that she'd dropped the codes and called him by name.

"Yeah?"

"Please be careful," she said.

"I will." He wanted to say more, even plead with her to come back to the station but laying his heart out to her while every cop in the city was tuned into the conversation was probably not a good idea.